So are Hatching Eggs worth it?

Harvest Mint

Songster
6 Years
Nov 16, 2016
Kingston, Tennessee
So I think I am addicted to Wyandottes and mine are just now 8 weeks old. I have seen so many cool colors. I would love to have some of every variety. I have seen some other varieties as hatching eggs online where as the hatcheries are out. My question is are hatching eggs ordered online even worth the risk?

The first eggs I got off ebay had a 60% hatch rate I felt like a pro for my first time. Since then I have hatched very little to none in some cases. The ones that are supposed to hatch this Thursday were all alive at 7 days but now maybe two or three out of 12 not doing anything different could be the cooler weather. But it is a good way to get a start with a particular breed if you can get at least a few to hatch. I think I may wait till I get a broody hen to order anymore.

It can be a bit of a hit or miss affair, in my experience (and from what i have read). Chicks would be a better option IMO.

Broody hens simplify things so much - otherwise, if you're going to get an incubator, get a GOOD one. I just suffered through the dumbest series of days trying to keep a Little Giant 11300 stable enough -if I hadn't been home to constantly monitor, I think there may have been no viable eggs left- unreasonable heat spikes, giant swings in temperature, ridiculous variation depending on where in the incubator... and that was with 5 thermometers with humidity readings AND all the tips I could find here. I had a "need it NOW, make it work" (long story) moment so I stupidly settled and bought what I could get locally right THEN. I had the benefit of my own non-shipped eggs to work with. With all the problems, had these been shipped eggs already compromised by their journey, it may have been a total loss.

So, I guess I'm saying I agree with ken!!! Buy chicks or POL pullets. Look locally- is there a Wyandotte club in your area to source more birds? from?

I see. I am not sure if there is a club. It seems like no one in TN knows how to use the internet. Other states seem to have tons of group websites and breeders for everything but TN has nothing. Well I can't say nothing. There are more puppy ads then you can shake your tail feathers at.

I see. I am not sure if there is a club. It seems like no one in TN knows how to use the internet. Other states seem to have tons of group websites and breeders for everything but TN has nothing. Well I can't say nothing. There are more puppy ads then you can shake your tail feathers at.
LMAO that made me laugh after a rough night of hatching! Thank you!

Have a look at this- the first link is the main page:
http://tvpoultryclub.com/

The second link shows the various chicken shows, one of the hosts of their chicken show is the Wyandotte Breeders of America District Meet. So I'd either start there, or go to the contacts page that has all the email addresses for their club president etc. and see if they have a contact within the Wyandotte host listed on their site.

http://tvpoultryclub.com/show_info.html

LMAO  that made me laugh after a rough night of hatching!  Thank you! 

Have a look at this- the first link is the main page:
http://tvpoultryclub.com/

The second link shows the various chicken shows, one of the hosts of their chicken show is the Wyandotte Breeders of America District Meet.  So I'd either start there, or go to the contacts page that has all the email addresses for their club president etc. and see if they have a contact within the Wyandotte host listed on their site.

http://tvpoultryclub.com/show_info.html

I love making people smile so I am glad I could brighten your day! I will definitely check out those links. If there isn't a group in my area then maybe I will have to start one.

I love making people smile so I am glad I could brighten your day! I will definitely check out those links. If there isn't a group in my area then maybe I will have to start one.

Yes, thank you!! 6 of my 7 hatched but we had temperature fluctuation fights with that d*&& incubator from start to finish. This morning I had to free two of the chicks on day 23, a nice test of fine motor skills- I'm 100% sure the incubator was the cause, not an issue with the chicks themselves.

Now on that website-- looks like they've got a big show this weekend! Who knows, there may be another couple varieties of Wyandotte to discover- looks like a big event with lots of chickens.

The 2016 Dixie Classic will be held Saturday, December 3 - Sunday, December 4 in the Jacobs Building at Chilhowee Park, Knoxville, Tennessee.
Address - 3301 E. Magnolia Avenue
Knoxville, TN. 37914

Fertility is often reduced at this time of year and the postal system is inundated with items for Christmas so they are more likely to be scrambled/damaged in the post which probably means that this is not a good time of year to buy hatching eggs online. If you are going to do it, wait until spring, when fertility should be at it's peak and the postal service quieter.

Back
Top Bottom