So baby African Gosling is an "Ugly Duckling.....at least to the Shetlands....

Discussion in 'Geese' started by mominoz, Apr 24, 2016.

1. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    Well, the Shetland goose hatched one egg,( she sat on some of the yearlings eggs and they were duds). I hatched 3 out, and one African (long story; lost power 4 times). So I gave the babies I hatched 2 a day to the mama, her sister and mates. Everything seemed ok, they took the first babies in right away. Today I added the other 2 babies, including the lone African. .......herein, may lie the problem. I sat and watched. The two gandars pretty much ignored the shetland (after all it looks like the other 3 babies), but nipped at the African a couple times.... not an all out attack... but I got the feeling..." you have the wrong color feed and beak, and are kinda dark' ....and I hate to lose it to mean foster dads.... So I got auntie and the gandars outside the house, as the mama, seemed more nurturing to the babies and not attacking .... Maybe if she accepts them all, and the gandars will if they are separated by the wire door..., if not....,
    Maybe, I could maybe take it and one other out and raise them for a while together...
    Or the African who is sitting on 3 eggs .....But the baby is so small, one foot in the wrong place and 'squash'....
    Going to check again before dark. Make sure it hasn't be attacked by mom or ostracised.....

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  2. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    He was adopted and doing well... with his mom.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by