So...broomstick was a failure

welasharon

Crowing
9 Years
Jun 28, 2010
North Florida
I had to dispatch a mean roo. Tired the broomstick method.....his head popped out from under the stick! I won't go into the details but I eventually got it done but I feel so stupid. I guess maybe I didn't step down hard enough? I am not sure how I managed to mess it up but I surely did. I think I will fashion me a killing cone for the next time or just chop the head off. I was trying to avoid the head chop or wringing but this was worse. I am still freaked.
sharon

You didn't step down hard enough. Make sure the ground isn't too soft either.

I agree with the posts above, cut the neck/head and it will be quick!

You didn't step down hard enough. Make sure the ground isn't too soft either.

I agree with the posts above, cut the neck/head and it will be quick!

At one point both my husband and I were both standing on it....on a cement walkway....I wonder if the broomstick was too slick or too limber? I don't think it was wooden. Now that I think of it I am thinking that may have been the issue. Yes I am going to fix a killing cone. WAY less violent.
sharon

The least traumatic for them is indeed using the cone, but cleaning the head completely off. I know there's often debate about bleeding out being the most humane, but, animals do indeed have a thick cord of nerves right next to their artery, which if sliced, gives a sensation of hot white burning in the area.

If young enough a knife can do, older and the easiest is getting tree or cord pruners.

Last edited:
Roosters can be tough muthas. I helped process a large batch of them. I can easily pull the heads off of dead broilers but had to chop the rooster heads off. Even the evisceration was tough on those birds.

I still feel the hatchet is the quickest way. I've seen alot of bleeders flinch, struggle and "gargle" when they are cut..often lasting quite a while it seems. But with a three pound hatchet...one quick pop and then just hang the body up to drain. It may wiggle for a bit, but that is just the nervous system shutting down. I knew one fella that had a big 5 pound mallet...he would gently lay the chickens head on a stump and smash the whole head..instant death! Then he would cut off the neck and what was the head and let them drain.

At one point both my husband and I were both standing on it....on a cement walkway....I wonder if the broomstick was too slick or too limber? I don't think it was wooden. Now that I think of it I am thinking that may have been the issue. Yes I am going to fix a killing cone. WAY less violent.
sharon
As for me, it was a wooden stick, a shovel handle. I haven't had any issues of them popping off or head came off completely.

Find a method that works for both of you. If I had a good ax and a conctruction cone, I would do this. Dont worry if the bird react to it, its the nervous system shutting down. People would do that as well when they were shot or beheaded. Calmer birds seems to go better than the ones that just battled out to their very end.

Forty or so years ago I had to help my mom and grandma kill and clean a couple hundred birds. One chopped the heads and the other prefered to wring the necks. There were birds everywhere...kinda distressed us kids so I was hoping to do differently! LOL Mine was worse. I won't piddle around next time. I wasn't freaked at the killing, although that surprised me some, I was freaked that he wouldn't DIE. I looked this afternoon...it wasn't a wooden handle. Ah well. It is done and the relief at having peace in the chicken flock was worth the trauma. Thank you all so much for making me feel better.

Back
Top Bottom