So bummed to find silkies down at door

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bobbieschicks, Dec 9, 2011.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Two nights ago everyone was up high on the roost to sleep. Just checked again and the silkies are huddled together on the floor by the door but the orpingtons are up on the roost. I wonder what happened that made them decide to not go up tonight. I was so happy to see them all up there the other night. Big disappointment to see them on the ground tonight. [​IMG]

2. dsfrango

dsfrango Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    How old are the silkies? How long are the perches for them to roost on?

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    My Silkies never slept on the roost. I saw them occasionally go up and check it out, but they always preferred to sleep in a pile on the floor. Pick them up and place them up there, maybe they'll get the hint......maybe they're just messing with you [​IMG] good luck!

4. jenesis536

jenesis536 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    My silkies never roost. They prefer to huddle together by the door. One of them always wants her head looking out, too.

5. dsfrango

dsfrango Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    I 2nd putting them on the roost in the evenings. They will prob get the hint after a few nights of that. And also keep in mind they don't fly too well so if the perch is too high they may give up trying to get up. I made a ladder for them to hop up. My 2 silkies roosted every night since I put that in

6. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    mine pig-pile in a nest box...2 yrs now!

7. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    They are just 8 weeks old. I checked through the window - it's plexiglass at the door - and it looked like maybe they decided last night to hang out until everyone else went up because I noticed they weren't by the door when I went to bed. I didn't have the energy to go out and look inside the coop. It's possible they just moved to the other corner or jumped into the nest boxes.

It was 40F and I get tired early on my early morning running days. I'll try to check tonight - but I want to get plenty of sleep cuz I'm running in a 5K tomorrow and I don't want to be tired doing it. (no I won't be winning it either - still laugh when my 8 yr old daughter asks me that question, at almost 50yrs old and having lost 34lbs last year with 50 more to go to be in my healthy weight range - I'm happy with just finishing the race).

Anyways I'll try the putting on the roost thing if I am still awake at 7:30pm when the artifical lighting goes out. Otherwise I'll just leave them to their own choices - hopefully they'll switch back to the roost with their hatchmates.

Here's our set up = the ladder isn't too steep and I know they can climb it because they have. This is an early picture - I still had the nest boxes covered in this one.

[​IMG]

8. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    My (limited) experience with chicks is that when I left the artificial light on after dark, the chicks would be on the ground and not go up after it went out. My theory was that they can't see very well when it's dark so they were afraid to go up in the dark. When I let it go dark naturally, everyone gravitates to the roosts and I have had nobody on the floor anymore. Mine started going on the roosts at about 9 weeks. There were nights where they wouldn't but now at 12 weeks everyone is up at night. So it's also possible you just have to give it time. I don't know how old your chicks are.

I have wondered if my theory was valid, because then how do you manage giving artificial light in the winter? Perhaps have it on in the mornings rather than in the evening? Perhaps it was just my chickens being wonky, but anyway these are some of my musings on the subject. Maybe they help.

9. TheHalfWayCoop

TheHalfWayCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Campbellville Ontario
    Our coop is in the garage until we move to the farm and our silkies have always escaped the 'coop' at night and sat on our side porch infront of the door in a pile [​IMG] (they're safe, remember, they're still in the garagae [​IMG]) When our new silkies came last month I was so excited that they would go in the coop and roost at night [​IMG] and hoped they'd teach our originals how to do it. Three nights in I looked out and the originals AND the news were sleeping in a pile on my side porch [​IMG] I've given up hope on them. I've ready most silkies aren't big on roosting anyway because they can't fly.

10. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Either my silkies can fly or they've been falling with style. I've seen them move when they waned too. But I guess as long as they feel safe they will roost wherever they want. I may still try to force the issue if they don't do it themselves as its a lot easier to clean poop from up there. Thanks for all the ideas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by