So Cal area can I leave 5wk old chicks outside?

joypeters

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 19, 2010
northridge, california
We live in southern California. Day temps are in the mid 80s nights are in the 60s. There are six chicks, coop is smallish, with nice size run underneath.

Can I leave them outside at night? Also, do you think they will figure out how to climb down the ramp and get to their food and water?

They have feathers, but not completely feathered.

Thanks for your help!

I would wait until they are fully feathered for an overnight in the coop. But with weather like this I leave my little guys out all day and bring them in just at night. Inside I leave them without a heatlamp this time of year when they're that old.

I think they'd be fine by this point. I moved mine outside at 4 four weeks with one heat lamp and it's much colder here. Actually, I had 4 go missing for a few days and it was down to the 40's and they survived fine. (amazingly-I certainly wouldn't recommend that, lol)

We moved our chicks out to the coop at about 6 weeks but we kept the brooder light on them until for a while longer until the nights got warmer and they were completely feathered out. Also, they began to get angry with the light when they got too warm so that tells me it is time to get rid of it.

Quote:
I am relatively close to you, except our temps here are about 10 deg colder at night. My chicks are currently 7 weeks old - they have been outside at night for the past week, my coop is also relatively small, and raised. They are doing fine, sleeping together in the nesting box, but, I'm hoping they will "work out" the roosting thing soon LOL. From about 4 weeks they were outside from around 9am till 6-7 pm(weather permitting). if I had been less of a protective new mama, I think they could have gone out at night a week or so earlier than they did.

If you haven't had them outside at all yet, I would leave them in their coop/run during the day for a few days or so, & in their current brooder at night (without the heat light, if it is inside) - then leave them out in their coop/run permanently after that.

If introduced during the day, they will work out that ramp quickly (although, don't be surprised if they seem terrified of it for a few minutes). Since I am locking mine in the coop from around 8pm till 7am, I am putting the food and water in there with them. In the morning, they are wide awake and ready to run out when the door is opened.

HTH

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom