So Cal Newbie Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Katieasaur, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Katieasaur

Katieasaur Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2012
    So I live in Southern California where it is almost always hot LOL I'm building my first chicken coop and run fit for 2 chickens since that is all that my city allow. I have started it with pallets and I'm not sure where I want to go from here. Because it is so hot here should I leave it as open air as possible and then slip boards in for when it's cold? And I am totally stuck on how to build an external nesting box for easy access to the eggs and I am also not 100% sure on the best way to build to run. I would love to let them run around the backyard but I don't trust the neighbors cat since shes already attacked my dog and we have hawks that live in the trees nearby. Any advice and/or help is greatly appreciated. Mind you I don't have a bunch of money to spend on it and I want to do as much of it for free as possible.

2. mpcardona

mpcardona Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    Mineola, Texas
    I live in So Cal too. I live on the outskirts of Hemet. I went with the open air bottom with slip in boards for the winter time. It's perfect for where we live. As far as coops and runs. Check out the Coop Forum. Lots of really cool ideas!

3. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

I also live just outside Hemet

Spend most on a run to make it safe. Almost any roof will do for when it rains.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. mpcardona

Sep 30, 2011
    Mineola, Texas
    I agree Dennis. We have hawks and coyotes, but neither of them mess with my chickens. I have my open pen, coop inside, and a shaded area for them to hang out under if they want too.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  5. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm over in Homeland where are you ? [​IMG]

6. Katieasaur

Katieasaur Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2012
    I have an old movable puppy run that I might use for them so I can move them around the garden and stuff. And I think I won't raise it. I have about 500 bricks that I could use to put underneath the coop so nothing could get in underneath.

7. mpcardona

Sep 30, 2011
    Mineola, Texas
    I think that sounds good. You can really have your coop and pen however you would like as long as your girls are safe. I would like to see pictures when you are done with it.

Hemet Dennis, I live border of Hemet and Augana area.

8. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    I'm in SoCal as well, though WAY over in Frazier Park. Chickens deal much better with cold (we get snow) than they do with heat. So, it's much more important to have good ventilation and shade for summer. Did you see the Ikea hack coop? I thought it was a great urban coop idea which might give you some ideas. Here's a link... http://www.ikeahackers.net/2009/06/ikea-home-for-chicks.html Also, if you google pallet coop you might see some great ideas. Have fun with your girls.

9. mpcardona

Sep 30, 2011
    Mineola, Texas
    I think anyone who has decided to get chickens has done at least a little bit of research to now that their coop needs a lot of air. My chickens did really good this past summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by