So, can living on a homestead change you?

Discussion in 'DIY / Self Sufficiency' started by chickensrock12, Nov 30, 2016.

1. chickensrock12

chickensrock12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2015
    Utah
    So, I've been interested of living off the grid on a homestead. I love animals, gardening, and using natural resources. Like chickens, using food from the garden, using rain water, solar panels, and so much more. Thats what I would like to do. But, I live in a regalor naborhood. With two dogs, three cats, and two chickens. I'm already a vet. So, this would be great for me, right. I'm just scared people will think I'm insean and it's a big life change. Would it work. I'm also interested in living in a tiny house. Do you guys think I could do this?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You can do it.

You're a veteran or veterinarian?

It does change you. Forget what people think. What do they know anyway?

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    At the end of the day, who's opinion really matters? If you have family members living with you, obviously, they need to be on board with your plan. But, you're young, and you've got plenty of time to map out your life course. Follow your dreams. As for the tiny house, IMO, that's a passing fad. Interesting that it comes on the tails of the biggest consumerism this country has ever seen. I'd seek a middle ground here, not too big, not too small, big enough to be comfortable, small enough to be easily managed. But, what does my opinion matter? That's my dream, not yours! You will also need some means of earning some cash. One can not live off grid forever without a bit of cash flow to input into the system now and then. JMHO.

4. chickensrock12

Sep 22, 2015
    Utah
    Ok thank you, you guys. I will do it. I've done some research online and I found that it may take a long time. I think I might live in and build my own house on wheels. That will benefit me, because I live alone in a kind of big house. So, how many acres should I own? I've got a list of the animals I want. So, its actually a long list, but Ive heard owning 1 to 2 acres. But, I'm not sure I can fit of those animal pens on 1 or 2 acres. Thank you for your feedback. If you have more feed back, please share.

5. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Can I ask you what part of NY you live in?

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The size of the parcel is directly dependent on both the types of animals you want and the type of vegetation there already.
    If it is completely forested, it will be difficult to have grazing animals. If it is all pasture, it will be difficult to get enough wood for fuel and shade for things like chickens.
    A mixed cover of grassy areas and wooded areas tends to work best.
    It is possible to do fairly good homesteading with about 3 acres. It is possible with less but you'll be limited to animals like honeybees, poultry, rabbits, goats.
    If you want sheep, cattle, horses, emus/ostriches, you'll need more space. One cow/calf unit requires about an acre of good pasture.
    The more space and the more animals, the more labor intensive and time consuming.
    You could limit to chickens and bees and have less work.
    I once read a book called "5 acres and independence".
    I currently have a book called "One Acre & Security" (how to live off the earth without ruining it)
    It focuses on building your own home, organic gardening and projects like winemaking, fish, frogs, turtles, bees, rabbits, earthworms, herbs, poultry, sheep, pigs, cows and goats. Of course you can't do all those on an acre, you'll have to focus if you only have one or two acres.

7. chickensrock12

Sep 22, 2015
    Utah
    I'm sorry that I can't say. But, I can tell you how to treat your animal in need.[​IMG]

8. chickensrock12

Sep 22, 2015
    Utah
    Thank you, I've got my eye on a piece of land in Idaho. It's 5 acres and it has trees all around it and plains in the middle with a couple of trees here and there. It's a long journey New York to Idaho. But, I'm in the process of building a tiny house on wheels to travel there. Also there's a vet clinic a mile away from the property. Thank you for all of your guys support.
    [​IMG]

9. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Another thing you may want to consider is a horse or team. A team of drafts like Belgians can do a lot of work and you won't need a tractor. Just different types of implements.
    Sometimes horsedrawn farm implements can be had at low cost at farm sales. At least they used to be.

10. chickensrock12

Sep 22, 2015
    Utah
    OK thanks, so like have people work for me. That's a good idea. Maybe, I think about it. I tend to be a loner and I kind of like to do things on my own. But, I'll think about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by