So. Chickens Don't Get Colds, Right?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Reyvaughn, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I really wish someone could help me out with this... I read chickens don't just get colds, right? Should I be worried about the following then?

My MFC bantam cockerel tried to shield my two pullets from the worst that Lee/Katia poured down on us. I didn't realize their shelter failed until the early morning and Milton was soaked through and shivering. I put them in their unfinished coop and left them to dry. The next morning Milton had a clear discharge from his nose and no other discharges/fever/lethargy/lack of appetite/thirst. Now. Milton and the pullets were all gaping and shaking their heads. Milton had a powdery residue on his comb, so I immediately thought mites. I powdered them with Sevin, dusted the bedding with poultry dust, olive oiled their ears and put vaseline on their combs. I also put them all on Duramycin-10; today is their 5th and final day. Milton's runny nose stopped less than a day and a half after he got it and the girls never got it. Milton's breathing was rattly when he'd tried to escape my hand from catching him (when he was made to breath heavy).

I went out today and they are shaking their heads again. No gaping, no runny noses or any other symptoms.

So, should I be concerned that they may have some serious ailment? I have 76 other chickens to worry about. And the head shaking, mites or still a respiritory problem? I am working on buying some Oxine AH so I can put some in a humidifier for them - in case it's a fungal thing. I know this was because of them being in the rain and catching a chill... No one else is sick and they were all inside the main shed.

I don't know what to do and this is my thrid time posting about this. I am worried about the rest of my flock.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They can get pneumonia and they can also get fungal infections. Pneumonia calls for antibiotics made for respiratory stuff like Tylan and fungal infections call for Oxine to clean out the fungus in their lungs and trachea. If he was soaked through, he may have a touch of pneumonia. Oxine won't hurt in that case, but I'm betting that Tylan would also help him, considering the circumstances that caused this.

3. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Thank you VERY much Speckledhen! My mom just said the same thing not 10 minutes ago! I just happen to have Tylan on hand, too!

Would Pnuemonia cause the head shaking, though? Or should I be looking into mites? I didn't see any, but their ears were waxy around the opening (forgot to mention that).

4. speckledhen

Well, if they have pneumonia, they may have some sinus involvement and you know your ears and sinuses are connected. That may explain the head shaking. I'd give the symptomatic ones 3 days of Tylan, 1/2 cc per day injected into the breast muscle. From the circumstance, sounds to me like it was weather-related, them getting soaked like that. Tylan may fix it if they are getting sinusitis or something in the ears related to the soaking.

Oxine is always a wonderful thing to have on hand as it kills viruses, bacteria and fungi.

5. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Im working on it - Oxine isn't carried by anyone around here. I do have the local gris mill looking into getting it. Otherwise, I will be making an order through Revival this weekend. I'll start the Tylan tomorrow! Not that they are laying yet, but if they do, what's the egg withdrawal? They are already on a 21 day withdrawal because of the Duramycin.

Thank you very much, Speckledhen. I've gotten myself so upset over all of this. These three are pretty special to me, and the start of my own MFC project. So, I had myself worked into a severe headache and even shed some tears over the thought of 'what if'.

6. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    You will NOT find oxine anywhere but online. I agree with speckled hen, assume pneumonia.

7. speckledhen

Duramycin may not be the best antibiotic for respiratory stuff. I'm sort of hesitating to do Tylan back to back with it, but if they're still shaking their heads, probably can't hurt. Even just 2 days of it can make a huge difference. Withdrawal is supposed to be 2 weeks or so, I believe, but that's off the top of my head.

Had a few with fungal issues this hot/humid summer. My Buff Brahma, who's always had irritable sinuses (daily sneezer for years)had that, then following her Oxine fogging recovery, she developed foam in her eyes and we almost culled her. Called the state vet who said he was positive that it was a secondary bacterial sinusitis following the fungal infection. He wanted us to give her LA-200, but when he found out we had Tylan, said to give her that in the breast muscle. We did that at 3/4 cc for just two days and she is even better than she was before the fungal thing hit. They can get all sorts of stuff like that and it's really scary, I know!

Had a friend who had two young birds get soaked to the skin once. They were in a cage outside and a freak rainstorm hit. They both developed gurgly breathing. Due to circumstances, I told her I thought pneumonia and the vet, once she reached him, agreed.

8. Jacqdiva

Jacqdiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    My Orpington rooster had gurgle breathing sort of like a rattle. Then one of his hens got a cough and a rattle in her breathing. We had some unexpected rain an do hole had developed in their roof. Roof is fixed and everyone is fine again. I tried not to panic as they are all big strong adults. Glad they are doing great again.. Also I had some sneezy chicks before that in the brooder. I had a ceramic bulb in, so I put a warmer light on and they all came good again. No more sneezes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by