So close, but no cigar!!!! Please Help!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SilkieCRZYness, Jul 27, 2010.

1. SilkieCRZYness

SilkieCRZYness Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    I have set now 45 Serama eggs in over a month and about 30 were fertile, I move them into lockdown in my other bator, a little giant still air, temp 99.5 and humidity at 60-70%. All 30 stopped and did not hatch??? I let them stay in there till day 27-30 and still nothing. They seem to have formed all the way up to day 14 which is the last time I candle then on day 17-18 move to lockdown. I have a picture of what they all look like, they seem almost fully formed but don't hatch and die. My other incubator is the same thing, only 30-50% humidity and maybe 100-100.5. Any ideas what is goin on and why I can't get these to hatch? Do they look shrinked wrapped??? Thank you!!
    [​IMG]

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    They quit too early to shrink wrap. Is your thermometer on the bottom of the cage or on the eggs? What kind are you using?

I recommend using the sealed-in-glass w/a green suction cup Wal-Mart $1.70 aquarium thermometers- 3 of them. All three together. 3 in each incubator or hatcher, with the suction cup at the lead end to hold the sensitive end up to middle-of-the-egg height off the floor so your readings are just what the egg is experiencing.

I also recommend an accurite black thermometer/hygrometer for reading the humidity, but you MUST calibrate it using the salt and water method found on this forum.

Humidity is hard to manage, but I don't think that's your issue. I don't know that there is a standard reason for eggs to quit at this stage, but I often blame shipping, because my home eggs never do that. It's just the shipped eggs. Something is too fragile to make it all the way, I'd guess.

3. SilkieCRZYness

SilkieCRZYness Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    I feel my humidity is plenty. I had my thermometer on the floor of the bator and the eggs are in an egg carton to hatch, well I moved it right on top of the eggs in the egg carton and the temp went from 99.5 to 102, I didn't adjust anything. So I lowered my temp to 99.5 so maybe that is what is killing them? I need a fan to circulate the air I guess. Still air incubation is tough!!!!

4. Delta3013

Delta3013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Harker Heights, TX
    Ya, i always had trouble with still air, there are always temp spikes

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    These sites may help you. There are several possible causes. You might recognize something in here that we would not. I think it is good to get other people's experience since that may clue you in as to what is happening and what to look for. Your circumstances are different and it may not apply to your case, but it is help. I suspect it is the heat as you and others seem to have concluded, but you might notice something else also. Good luck!

Mississippi State Incubation Troubleshooting
    http://www.poultry.msstate.edu/extension/pdf/troubleshooting_incubation.pdf

Florida Incubation Troubleshooting
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/aa204

6. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    The temp didn't change, the air is stratified in the incubator and the change in where you had your thermometer reflected that. You need multiple thermometers, and the eggs turning helps them to not be dramatically different temps top to bottom internally- since they're fluid it's not really an issue.

The still air can work well if you give it a chance and don't change the thermostat more frequently than once in 24 hours.

I don't even LOOK at humidity until day 18. I use 2 different incubators: one for 1-18, one for 19-21. I have the one with the turner dry as the air is naturally, no water, 99-100 degrees at the middle of the egg as dictated by several aquarium thermometers which sit down in the middle between eggs.

I use another for the hatcher, with paper towels rolled up and stuffed down in the channels for water, with as much water as they will hold, then another paper towel on top of the wire, under the eggs, which is soaking wet as the water wicks up into it. The humidity is very high, and I ignore it unless it drops below 65%.

I open the incubator once or twice a day using the little window- I always use an LG for the hatcher so I can do this- it keeps them from having a dramatic change in temp and humidity. I candle and rotate them if they've pipped on the bottom, etc.

I can't stress HOW IMPORTANT having multiple thermometers is, nor how important it is to toss the cardboard thermometers you get with the incubators. The cardboard expands and shrinks with humidity and changes how accurate it is- this is a huge problem when a little line can mean it's way too hot or cold.

Also, I do move my eggs around every few days in the turner, as there are spots more hot or cold in there. I have used forced air, but didn't think it made that big of a difference. I recommend the RCom-20 if one can save up the money to get one- it's a push-button, turn-key solution that needs no care at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by