1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So close I cant stand it!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dfchaser, Mar 31, 2009.

1. dfchaser

dfchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    NC
    Friday is day 18 for batch #1! I candled today (tried really hard not to) I pulled two eggs that had quit, most likely last week. I opened them and the chick had turned into a black/brown goo, eeewww! Not sure I will be opening any more!

I am not sure about the rest, most of them I could not see thru, so i am hoping that is a good sign.

Now time for the question: Since I am staggering my hatch, i made a homemade incubator. I think the fan hubby got me is too big and powerful since when i turn it on I cannot, no matter what i do, get the humidity above 60%. When it is off, I have no problem with 75% humidity. I am thinking of running still air, so that means my temp needs to be more like 102 right?

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:Still air should be 101. And if you can't see thru that's a good thing it means they are growing. I don't think you want to get your humidity above 70 your last 3 days. Good luck and don't forget the pics.

3. dfchaser

dfchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    NC
    I am still messing to adjust the humidity, i will not give up on forced air until thursday morning. At that point if i cant get it, we go to still air and adjust temp.
    [​IMG] hope this goes moderately well.

My first hatches are always not good.

4. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:I think I was reading on here where someone had a 100% hatch on their first time. Maybe you will be that lucky. I wish I was. Sending good vibes your way. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by