So confused.. another chicken with raspy breathing

Jan 1, 2020
Eastern North Carolina, USA
Here’s a thread to give some backstory to the respiratory issues I’ve been having. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/questions-about-respiratory-disease.1476291/
My birds have been going through a lot of different issues including respiratory issues, coccidia, worms and lice but the respiratory problems had cleared up but now one of my 2 year old hens is having raspy breathing, she is still laying eggs but I’ve just noticed it today. Doesn’t look like she has any discharge from her nose and no sneezing. I’ve been treating my birds for lice with permethrin dust, could that have caused this? Also could it be a problem with her crop? She does have a certain smell coming from her mouth not sure how to describe it. Her crop feels soft and I would say it’s pretty full. If it’s something with her crop how can I help her?

Edit: the pullet in the original thread with the raspy breathing had gotten better but just a second ago she coughed up yellow mucus so I’m assuming she is still sick also…🙁

Edit again: I think my 2 year old hen has sour crop after doing more research, what is the easiest and most affordable way to treat it?

Last edited:
The silver penciled hen is looking a lot better today! No gasping for air or grunting when she breathes, she still is coughing every once in a while. Today was her 3rd treatment with the dewormer, still not sure it was gapeworm though. The others that were showing symptoms cleared up in 2 days also with no treatment. When I had MG in my last flock it was triggered by stress and their symptoms lasted around a week sometimes longer and they had eye bubbles, nasal discharge, raspy breathing and coughing. My birds haven’t been stressed recently that I know of but they have been in the past and they didn’t show any respiratory symptoms afterwards. I’m going to see if I can get one tested at my state lab again but it’s going to be hard to time it when one is showing symptoms since the symptoms only last for 2 days, I don’t want to send one that isn’t showing any symptoms like last time.

Did they send a report showing what all they tested for?
I’m thinking about sending another one that is showing severe symptoms and try it again, maybe the one I sent hadn’t caught whatever they have now, that’s my only guess to why the bird I sent was clean.

Attachments

• E6BFBC10-C67C-4C1F-ACD2-13E58124AA6A.png
    E6BFBC10-C67C-4C1F-ACD2-13E58124AA6A.png
    389 KB · Views: 8
  • 8B3559A8-F5A1-474D-8F77-D3FADA2F43FC.png
    8B3559A8-F5A1-474D-8F77-D3FADA2F43FC.png
    433.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
So the hen in the first videos breathing cleared up in 2 days and now more are starting to show symptoms a little bit different, no crackled breathing but they are gasping for air, these are different birds from the first ones that were sick. Could it be gape worm? Probably isn’t but just thought I would ask. I’m going to have a hard time taking one to my state lab since I don’t drive and it’s 2 hours away, got lucky being able to take one the first time.
I don’t think the pullet in this video is going to make it. She was absolutely fine yesterday and this morning she was doing this
I just caught up with this thread.
I'm not an expert by any means but it sounds exactly like when my chickens were suffering with mycoplasma, though there are plenty of different other things it could be too. And its strange that the lab results said negative for MG. Have you introduced any new chickens in the past few months outside of your flock? MG normally will only be present if you introduced new chickens to your flock or they came in contact with others infected by you or another way.
You can also consider gapeworm, and research online how to treat it. You should be able to get everything you need either online or at the feed store.
For now, I'd treat will tylan or tylosin.

Since ours had MG, we culled the ones that didn't pass, and had to clean out the coop 2 or 3 times super good, let it air out for 6 weeks before putting new babies in there. For that reason, I will never introduce other birds to my flock. The hens we introduced (even after we quarantined them) gave my last flock MG, some had Mareks, and also had coccidiosis. Worst thing I've dealt with so far in raising chickens.

Last edited:
You mention in your other thread that you ordered Denagard, have you tried that yet?
No haven’t tried it yet because it’s meant to treat MG and my birds were negative for that but I may give it a try anyway.
How about the lice, have those been treated/eliminated?
I’ve done 3 treatments so far with permethrin dust and concentrate, they are still losing a lot of feathers but I haven’t seen any lice on them.
How much ventilation in their housing?
front and back of their pens are open, I have a long pen with dividers. There is a hallway down the center with pens on each side, the doors of the pens are in the middle hallway.

Attachments

• C0A7E9B0-0294-4B2F-903B-4E5C088D5D50.jpeg
    C0A7E9B0-0294-4B2F-903B-4E5C088D5D50.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom