1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

so confused! boy/girl?!!!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MommaChicken3, Aug 26, 2014.

1. MommaChicken3

MommaChicken3 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2014
    Wauconda, Illinois
    I have a 5 month old Cochin Sil laced from a straight run. Growing up I noticed this bird had rooster behavior. It would run at all the others and jump at them with its feet. But as it got older those behaviors stopped. It's comb on its head is exactly like a rooster. It is extremely tall and feathered like a rooster. Its almost 2 feet tall. Which is a little scary at 5 months old..it does not have any spurs starting, it does not crow, or even try. It does not have the roo instincts of being a protector, my last roo at 5 months found food for the girls and always fed them before he fed himself. This one just acts like a girl. Feeds itself. It also likes to sit in the nesting boxes and act like its laying an egg.. im having doubts now that its a boy?! Its super strange. at what age should it be showing signs of spurs? When will it crow? When will it start acting like a boy and protect my girls? Is it even a boy?!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. srslychickning

srslychickning Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2011
    Garner, NC
    100% cockerel, for sure. Spurs will come along in the next few months. While an assertive roo is good for protection, it can go from assertive to mean and you don't want that. The laid back ones are the most desirable for procreating because they can pass on a laid back attitude to their chicks, so his demeanor is not a bad thing. At 5 months, he is probably still figuring out his place among the girls, but by about 8-10 mos., I would guess he'll start stepping up and doing his job. He is very handsome!

3. MommaChicken3

MommaChicken3 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2014
    Wauconda, Illinois
    Thanks for your help! He started really confusing me here for a while! I do love his demeanour and I dont want it to change, I was just confused as to why he stopped acting like a boy and started picking up female behavior lol

4. Cyan Night

Cyan Night Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yep, all roo

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Rooster for sure. The coloration, comb and wattle size, and stance are all that of a male.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    100% rooster.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    He's a rooster, but for a Cochin he's still just a baby. Those big boys take a while to mature, and once mature they're known for being gentle giants.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by