So confused :/ chicken with leg problems! please help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nlbeardmore, Feb 4, 2012.

1. nlbeardmore

nlbeardmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    England
    I have a 2 year old bantam who has always had a limp since we bought her a year ago. When she went broody her leg got much better, however about 2 months ago she started limping even worse, then would hardly walk anywhere and always sat on her 'bottom' with her legs infront. The other hens started bullying her so i brought her inside into a cage. She has been inside for 2 weeks now and has not got any better/worse. At first we thought it was Mareks as we have had 2 chickens die previously with this, however she has got stronger in herself and does not stop eating/drinking, but she seems to have lost the capability to walk. She has some strength in her legs but we have to hold her up. Her toes tend to curl under alot so i have created a sling for her which she goes in twice a day so she is not always lying down. When she lies down she also has both legs out to the side or infront of her.
    I really do not think this is Mareks as she would have got worse by now but if anyone knows what else i could try to do so that maybe she can walk again and join the rest of the chickens outside.
    Thankyou :)

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I agree that it is not likely Mareks causing the problem, but I am quite puzzled by what could be causing her leg problems. It sounds like it is neurological, if I had to guess. It was very kind of you to make a sling for her.

I hope someone else replies who may have some ideas about her problem.

3. nlbeardmore

Jun 27, 2011
    England
    Thankyou for your reply. She also has so much energy in her wings and flaps like crazy when i move her around! Is there anything i could feed her to hopefully help her?

4. nlbeardmore

Jun 27, 2011
    England
    Bump

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Most likely she had sprained a tendon or ligament before you acquired her. Sitting on the nest most of the time while being broody indicates that rest and relaxation for this type of injury is needed and was starting to heal. It also indicates that the injury wasnt completely healed and she aggravated the injury causing her current status of being unable to walk normally. Too much weight and pressure on the good leg is causing her to sit and rest. If she has to jump down from a roost or other high place, there could be permanent damage. Ever try walking on a sprained ankle? I have and the pain is unbearable. Can you imagine jumping down on a sprained ankle?
    Seperate her in a cage, provide her feed and water. She needs plenty of rest and relaxation giving time for the injury to heal. It may take days, weeks, months or never. There may come a time that it might be a quality of life issue and you'll have to make the choice whether to cull or not. Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  6. nlbeardmore

Jun 27, 2011
    England
    Thankyou, that is very helpful, she seems to prefer to lie down on her side with both feet out but I feel as though she will get stiff so try to use the sling so she can use her legs if she wants. I would give her all the time she needs inside but it's my parents who arnt happy about the idea. All I want is for her to be a happy hen so think we will give her a few more weeks and we will decide her fate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by