So confused...please help if you can!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MKingsolver, Jul 4, 2011.

1. MKingsolver

MKingsolver Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    Rainy Western WA
    I'm SOOOOO new to keeping chickens, the only two things I knew about chickens when I got them was that 1. I loved them and 2. I wanted my own. Needless to say, I've learned a LOT in the past 6 weeks that I've had them!

Anyhow, my question is about a 5 week old Buff Orpington chick that I purchased from Del's. The past few days she has seemed generally listless and her right eye closed completely. There is no discharge from it, it's not gunked up, and it appears to be normal. She really didn't seem to be eating and drinking like the others but I do feel as though one of the others was picking on her.

Last night I isolated her, flushed out her eye with opthalmic solution and put pet grade antibiotic ointment on it. I offered her food and water with a little bit of gatorade in it, and then thought to give her some greek yogurt I have in the fridge. She gobbled down the yogurt and commenced to eating and drinking but still seems sleepy and still has the same eye closed. I was noticing earlier that she seems a little perkier but she is now closing the other eye.

I'm at a complete loss right now and Google is no help! I'm hoping you good folks here at BYC could possibly give me an idea as to what could be going wrong, any and all information is greatly appreciated.

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I am not sure but it sounds like you are doing everything you can right now. But you could try polypro without iron. To give a little more of a boost. And maybe some scrambled eggs. Good luck. Someone with more experience should be on in a few to help you. [​IMG] from Ga. Sorry it is under these circumstances.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm glad the chick is eating and drinking by herself. It is good that you isolated her for now. it is possible that she was pecked in the eye and was kept from food and water because she is low on the pecking order. There is also a small chance that she has a respiratory infection, so watch her to see if any other symptoms develop. Hopefully she will regain her strength soon.

4. MKingsolver

MKingsolver Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    Rainy Western WA
    Thank you for the replies and the warm welcome [​IMG] I'm happy to report that she is a little more active and alternating between opening and closing that eye. Occasionally I will notice her shake her head and then rub the offended eye on her wing. I was thinking it could be respiratory as well, is there an antibiotic I can give her? She is currently eating the medicated chick starter and I've added ACV to her water. I'm really pulling for this girl, she is a sweetheart!

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    glad to hear she is improving. I'm not sure what to do with chicks and respiratory infections, but since she is doing a bit better and already on medicated chick starter, I would just keep up what you are doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by