so confused thought we had 2 roosters and 3 hens...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LMamaK, Oct 5, 2015.

1. LMamaK

LMamaK New Egg

Sep 14, 2015
    [​IMG]

a few weeks back i posted with question on the gender of our easter egger. almost everyone said rooster....however i had 4 eggs today and the smallest one is speckled and much darker. what i saw online so far says maybe that it would be a olive egger? anyone can help me out?
    here is the picture of the chicken i posted a few weeks ago of the chicken in question...
    [​IMG]
    the black and white front middle one~

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you have joined us.

I don't have any experience with EE, but that is definitely a first egg from someone. If all others have been laying and she is the only suspect, then it has to be a she.[​IMG]

You really should start an intro under the new members forum to get a proper welcoming.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Could get better individual pics of the EE? It would be easier to tell.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    your EE is still a cockerel.

That small egg isn't necessarily a first egg, it's probably what is called a wind or fart egg. They usually don't have a yolk, and are a glitch in a hen's production system.

When a hen lays a brown egg, the shell is manufactured as white, and the brown is a coating that's applied internally after the egg is formed. When a hen produces a tiny egg like this, the body doesn't get the signal to make less brown coating, so it applies the same amount of "paint", but to a lesser surface area. So, the paint is more concentrated and the egg is darker and often speckled looking. One of your girls just had a glitch is all. You may get a double yolker in the near future, or a shell-less egg while her system works things out.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Does that EE crow? How old is it?

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    The comb looks like one of a cockerel but better pictures would help.

7. LMamaK

LMamaK New Egg

Sep 14, 2015
    my question is the two brown leggers we have that laid their two eggs would they have still laid a regular egg as well as one of the wind eggs? we only have 5 chickens and we were told they were all hens. however we have one rooster (the loudest in the bund, with mohawk and silk big back feathers) a rhode island red (1 of 2) and so we are currently out of the 5 chickens getting 1 white egg and 2 brown eggs per day.

we are so new to this so i appreciate your input!!

8. LMamaK

LMamaK New Egg

Sep 14, 2015
    [​IMG]

9. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA

That is a definite cockerel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by