So confused!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dlaciv12, Aug 7, 2010.

1. dlaciv12

dlaciv12 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2008
    Brockton, MA
    So last week we discovered one of our 17 week old RIR hens was a rooster. Yesterday we traded him for a NH Red hen. This morning we woke to find our other RIR hen is now crowing. We bought them as sex from the farm supply store, NOT a straight run.

Below is the 2 of them together, we kept the hen in the foreground and trade the other RIR. Clearly a rooster judging from the spiky tail feathers on the middle chicken.

[​IMG]

SO this is a picture from this morning, I didn't catch her/him crowing in the picture but saw her/him doing it before I grabbed the camera. IS this a RIR rooster?

[​IMG]

Did I trade the wrong bird? No, but what are the chances that I got 2 rooster from a straight run of hundreds of chicks?

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    In the first picture the 2 red ones are roosters. The one in the second picture is a rooster also...

Chris

3. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    They are very handsome roosters. [​IMG]

4. dlaciv12

Nov 12, 2008
    Brockton, MA
    This is just crazy! Two roosters from hundreds of chicks all supposed to be hens!

What am I missing in the 2nd picture? How can I tell, other than the crowing that is.

5. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    RIR rooster. sowwy. [​IMG] The shiny green tail feathers give it away for me. Oh and the HUGE legs. I have RIR just a bit younger and even though I still question gender because they are getting big red combs, they don't have green tail feathers or big ol legs. (And they aren't crowing - eep!). Knock on wood!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  6. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    both reds are roosters

7. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    Looks like roos to me too. [​IMG]

8. dlaciv12

Nov 12, 2008
    Brockton, MA
    Is it just the way he carries himself? From what I had read the distinctive feature was the spiky tail feathers. In hind site they both are equally sized, bigger than my 1 1/2 yr old hens (sex-links).

9. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    they both have saddle feathers

10. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    Here are some pictures of our RIR hen, Cinnamon:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]