???????? So Confused???????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MedinaChick2001, Sep 22, 2010.

1. MedinaChick2001

MedinaChick2001 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2010
    I got some chicks from my local feed store back in April. The feed store said the 2 I got were Ameracaunas that were females, 1 is a roo and 1 a hen. A friend said she looks like a Aricauna. Does anyone have pics of these 2 breeds, so I can figure this out?? And are EE's different from both of these??? So far the feed store has really sucked for me so I don't know who to believe.

2. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    More than likely you ended up with EE's. Purebred Ameraucana and Araucana's (sp?) are pretty much only purchased through a good breeder. JMO. It is very hard to sex birds, even the best hatcheries boggle this.

3. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Likely best just call them EEs and go look at the breeding standards for the others. Vast majority of barn yard and feed store chickens won't meet the standards for a pure breed. The ones that don't but have some or many of the features still qualify as EEs.

I have a couple that some have called amerucana that would not meet standard even if the judge wise blind in both eyes, 4 toe silkies and an auracuna with a tail. No matter they are nice looking birds, not going to any shows, not going to sell anything but pet or barn yard grade chickens.

4. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    If you look at the breed pages of byc they have all 3 listed with pic and very good description of each. Most likely you have ee which is a cross of either of the other 2.

5. MedinaChick2001

MedinaChick2001 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2010
    Thank You!! I don't go to that feed store any more, I now go to a different one. I bought my chicks, they were on sale for 99 cents and they were buy one get one free. However, they didn't say that they didn't know if they were boys or girls. And I just assumed they would be girls. Out of the 15 I had, only 10 were girls. Better odds than some people I know. I do appreciate all the help.

6. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Quote:they were probably doing the buy 1 get 1 free to get rid of the roos, 2 out of the 5 I bought were roos, the 1st chick I chose was a roo so it didn't matter how many I bought I would have gotten at least 1 roo, right now I would be happy for an ee beautiful eggs, gl in getting rid of your extra roos

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by