So confused!!

LCARTER87

Songster
8 Years
Mar 27, 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
I have posted up several times about our frizzle hen who has had chronic wheezing, sneezing and gasping for the past now about month. I have put her with a vaporizor, given her duramycin, and now I put her on tylan 50 (soluble) about 4 days ago, she is still wheezing. I'm not sure what to do, it seems like the straw we had in their coop was affecting her so we pulled her out, I have checked for gape worm, she still poops, eats and drinks normally. And is even dust bathing. But she isnt laying, we got her about 4 months ago and have only seen maybe 2 eggs out of her, she is a young bird so I cant imagine its normal, does anyone have any thing else we can try?

I'm not sure, she is the only bird who is having any issues, I even have put her out a few times during the day for her to run around with the girls and she is still the only sick one. We just built a new coop with new straw, how would I got about treating a fungal infection? I would have thought that the tylan would have killed anything off but maybe not!

From what I read, Tylan treats bacterial, but not fungal infections. I'm not sure how to treat fungal lung infections. Some advocates of Oxine will tell you that it will cure and prevent fungal outbreaks, amongst other things. You'll have to decide for yourself. Another possibility might be that she's egg bound? I'm looking....

I used straw that was "dusty". One hen became ill and died. My rooster had symptoms much like botulism. He's recovered but not his old self anymore. The rest of my flock is fine. Some birds just have weaker immune systems. Now I'm using shredded corrugated cardboard. I'm done with straw.
tongue.gif
It may have had nothing to do with the straw, but I don't need it.

Last edited:
hmm..Maybe I should try the oxine, she has laid, I think she is about a year and some old, we havent had her since a chick, her sister who was from the same parents is fine, super healthy but also went through not laying a ton, I am wondering if that is normal for the frizzles, but it is also winter time.

Thanks for helping! I have a hard time getting responses on here sometimes!

Isn't that the truth! I dont think we have chicken doctors here or else I would take her, she doesnt seem like she is in pain at all, I think I feel worse than she does!

Back
Top Bottom