So depressed

furbabymum

Songster
7 Years
May 6, 2012
Burns, Wyoming
Well our broody was doing well. The eggs looked all viable. Unfortunately she was taken from us by.....................our dog. Our guard dog to be more specific. I'm so angry at him I can't even look at him. Why did he decide to kill a chicken NOW and why HER. :"( All those eggs were just days from hatching and now.....gone.

So sorry! How awful! :( I'm guessing they are already cold and you can't incubate them? That happened to me with my favorite duck one year. The neighbors dog got in the pen and killed her days from the hatch! This happened 15 yrs ago and it still makes me sad. Life sucks for no reason sometimes...hugs!

So sorry! How awful!
sad.png
I'm guessing they are already cold and you can't incubate them? That happened to me with my favorite duck one year. The neighbors dog got in the pen and killed her days from the hatch! This happened 15 yrs ago and it still makes me sad. Life sucks for no reason sometimes...hugs!
We don't own an incubator. We were kind of relying on her. So depressing!

How long have they been without heat? What day are you on? If its only been a few hrs maybe post in emergencies and try to build a quick self made incubator using a heat lamp??? I don't know how, but lots of people on here know how. I'd google it too. A hen gets off her eggs each day, so they may still be ok if it's not freezing. Just some ideas. If you don't have a heat lamp then I don't know what to do. It is depressing and I'm sorry for your loss if it's too late:(

She was taken yesterday so they've been left outside overnight. It's hard to say what day we are on. I was expecting them to hatch by calendar dating on the 22nd of February but obviously they weren't ready yet. I do know that when we candled them they looked to be about done. I think it's too late now though.

**** dog. I don't know what came over him. :(

My dogs got out of their yard and killed all but 3 of my chickens luckily I had just set some in the incubator a week before. It just made me so mad they were laying so good finally. But I could stay mad at the dogs they were just being dogs I guess.

I love my animals but after that my dog would be in prison and buy me some guineas to watch dog. By prison i mean in a dog pen.
He's the chicken guard dog.................... lol He's a great pyr. He'd been doing extraordinarily well. Protected them from all sorts of things. Never killed one. I've NO idea what happened but there is no doubt that it was him. Caught in the act.

Well if no prison he would sure know if he done it again it might be the death penalty. I mean i loved my dog but my neighbor thought antifreeze would solve his problem of him visiting him but i bet if he killed one of my birds he wouldn't have a second chance because prison he would go lol.

Back
Top Bottom