So different to just have two in the brooder...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Stephine, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Stephine

Stephine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2016
    Sonoma
    After having 11 chicks in the brooder last spring, and another four in another brooder, this spring I ended up only two little SFH (one died shortly after arrival). They are sooo much quieter! With just two they can be much more in sync about when to sleep and when to eat and drink and they do everything together. Not like last spring where it was mayhem most of the time except for the rare occasions maybe four times a day when they actually managed to all fall asleep at the same time...

2. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2016
    East Sussex
    WARNING: With just two you'll get really attached to them!!!!!!
    Hope your chicks do well :)

-Jet

3. Stephine

May 30, 2016
    Sonoma
    Ha! You scared me for a second!
    Thank you! They seem to be doing very well. I just can't get over how easy it is and how calm they are. I change their water twice a dayand even then it always looks super clean with at most one little piece of shavings in it. Last spring I was cleaning the waterer at least every two hours! I love that they do everything together.
    I really hope one of them is the roo I ordered - the hen will probably have an easier time joining the flock if she's best buddies with the new - and only - roo, no? Plus I really wanted the rooster....
    But, yes, I am sure I will be very attached! They'll probably be my favorites right up with my sweet SS hens.

4. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Smile Premium Member

Aug 1, 2015
    Sorry you lost some. [​IMG]

I love brooding in small numbers for that very reason. They grow up to be so much sweeter.

5. Stephine

May 30, 2016
    Sonoma
    Thank you! Yes, I have not lost a chick before, so this was so sad. I really fretted over the remaining ones for a while, but they seem just fine, thankfully.
    This time I am also using a relatively low trough for their brooder and I don't know if it's that (they can see me coming better) or the fact that they arrived a bit earlier than my last two batches or just their personalities, but they are not scared of me. They still try to evade me if I want to catch them, but they are not scared like especially my first batch was. I wonder how much that might be due to travel time and consequently age at time of arrival.
    My first batch last spring was shipped on a Tuesday and arrived on Friday and they are all quite skittish. My second batch ( Ss and BR) got to meet me a day earlier and they are a bit more relaxed. Or maybe they are more chill since there were just 4 to the brooder in that batch?
    I wish there was more chicken science out there.... Where are the chicken behaviorists??? [​IMG]

6. rainee63

rainee63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2017
    North Alabama
    Haha, I have this same issue. I've been wondering about my 2nd batch of chicks. Only 3 made it out of the incubator and they are so calm and peaceful. This past weekend I put my 1st 5 easter egger hatchlings out in their big bird coop. (They're 4 weeks old) I also bought (quite impulsively) 6 buff orpingtons at tractor supply. (Now 5 weeks) so for the past month it's been quite noisy and busy and poopy! The 3 that hatched Saturday are blue australorps, and I've been wondering if it's the breed that's just calmer? are they too hot? Why are they so quiet?! Maybe it's just because there's only 3?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  7. Stephine

May 30, 2016
    Sonoma
    Haha! Yes, I keep staring at them when they are aleeping - yet again - but when they pop up they are lively and run around and eat and drink and scratch and chase each other for "treasure keep away" just fine. I do remember though that when there were eleven and then 15 in the brooder last year most of them would fall asleep together and then one awake one would just walk over some sleeping ones, so they'd jump up and some of them would start running around and wake up more.... so I think that really is the main reason for the calm here.
    I have also noticed that these two actually pretty much sleep through the night (after the dirst couple of days) even though they are under a red lamp. The one I use is not as bright, just a 125 W which keeps them warm enough in the house, but still, when it gets dark out they quiet down and whenever I check on them at night they are snoozing. I will switch them to the heat emitter soon I think, so they can enjoy some darkness during the night...

8. rainee63

Mar 12, 2017
    North Alabama
    My older chicks never slept thru the night! I know, cuz they were in a cage in my bathroom. I use a red heat bulb too. I feel guilty cuz I'm not in there refilling the new kids' water and food constantly. I was kind of scared they were sick, since only 3 out of 7 hatched. But they eat. They poop. They run around a bit when I reach in to feed them. So different!

[​IMG]

9. rainee63

Mar 12, 2017
    North Alabama
    I'm so glad I found your post! I feel much better now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by