So disappointed...Angel wing/twisted tip

Discussion in 'Geese' started by TennesseeTruly, May 12, 2010.

1. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I've done everything by the book. All the geese were off chick starter by 3 weeks old. They're eating Mazuri Waterfowl. Have access to unlimited greens daily, have had niacin/brewers yeast and vitamins.

Now one of my babies has Angel Wing/Twisted Tip. I'm so disappointed/discouraged. I can't think of anything that I could have possibly done to avoid it. Tomorrow I'm going to wrap his wings and see if that works.

It's my Cotton, one of the ones that I plan on keeping. He's such a sweetheart, so loving, and gorgeous! He would have made an excellent breeder. I could just scream! And from as far as I can tell, he's the only one that has it.

Here's pics from today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My poor Cotton. Of course he didn't want me to get a pic of his face, the little booger!

Laurie

2. Stina

Stina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Allentown, PA
    If its only recently started you CAN correct it! Wrap the wings in the correct position against the body (of course not too tightly!) and unwrap them for a bit each day so he can stretch them out and such. I had a duck last year that I ended up giving away...that I'd done that on for a little while and it was making a difference!

3. 17roses

17roses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Greene County, TN
    So sorry Laurie!!! [​IMG] I am about to post pics of mine. Martha and George are doing great. Poor Cotton. Hope you can fix it.

4. TennesseeTruly

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Thanks Lisa Ann. I hope so too. All the others are doing great! They ate all the grass in their pen, Peter & Petunia's pen, Karessa & Kaspers pen, and Tansy & Tundra's pen! I'm allowing all the geese to free range now to get grass because the goslings ate every bit of grass. lol

Laurie

5. Golden Valley Farm

Golden Valley Farm Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2009
    As you can tell by the one picture how much blood is being supplied to the feather shafts. If you tape them or us vet wrap to put them back in place for a week to 10 days they should be just fine. They are just like that due to the amount heavy blood supply.

6. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    He is so precious [​IMG] I hope you can find a solution for his wings and soon.

7. TennesseeTruly

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Quote:I knew his wings were heavy because of all the pin feathers that he had and he was trying so hard to keep pulling them back up. He's vet wrapped now and not happy about it.

I absolutely adore my geese and was so upset when I saw his wings yesterday morning.

Thanks so much for the encouragement!

Laurie

8. Golden Valley Farm

Golden Valley Farm Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2009
    They will be ok. Just make sure they are not to tight and you might check and then rewrap them. Your right they hate it but they get used to it.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Wrapping should help resolve the problem. Does anyone else think that there may be a genetic tendency towards developing angel-wing?

10. marathonmultiplesmom

marathonmultiplesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Chehalis, WA
    I'm not familiar with how they get wrapped. If you get a chance, please post a picture for us... for future reference, and let us know how it turns out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by