1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So disheartening what happens with all of the excess cockerels/roos now.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickchoon1, Jan 28, 2015.

1. chickchoon1

chickchoon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2014
    Ohio
    I have gotten a couple calls the last 4 days asking"is this your roo?" and NO it isn't my roo but people are dumping, probably, their unwanted boys just like they do kittens/cat/etc and its unnecessary. They aren't brave enough or smart enough to slaughter and the animal pays the price by trying to survive in the current cold. I haven't gotten calls back(I told the 1st caller to call back if animal still around next day) and the 2nd call was taken by my son and he didn't get ANY info. I heard A roo the other day across the street and the guy that called yesterday(he lives appx 1/4 mile away) said 2 roos(first roo was probably part of this duo) and nobody attempts to restrain the poor things. I pray the roos head my way so I can catch them and although they will be slaughtered at least they aren't trying to find food,etc(and its -2 this a.m.!) or dodging predators. I hate humans that dump. Woosies. My son thought they would be easy to catch because of the snow depth but I reminded him I am no spring chicken, you know! Have to find my net.

2. cute bantams

cute bantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2015
    North Texas
    Hope that you catch them I don't like it when animals have to be killed but it's much better than them roaming around not experiencing the quality of life they deserve because the roosters owner didn't take responsibility for their birds

3. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    I have a friend who - I found out - has been carrying her extra roos a few miles away and releasing them in a wooded area.
    [​IMG]
    I invited her over the next weekend to learn how to process them.
    I'm hoping that she's no longer making life easy for the local foxes and coons......
    NO ONE needs them to be thriving on easy food.

4. cute bantams

Jan 27, 2015
    North Texas
    Haha well we certainly have a thriving coon coyote and bobcat population but I don't think it's due to people releasing unwanted chickens [​IMG]

5. chickchoon1

Sep 5, 2014
    Ohio
    One of the roos appears to have roosted 2x in a row in neighbors(across the street) trees and I fortunately had her # from a few years ago so have msg in to her about wanting to get over there tonight(even tho I don'y know WHICH tree it is or?) or possibly tomorrow morning(when I hear it start to crow(was doing it a 5 this morning and I don't want to scare neighbor if I am in her yard at 5 in a.m.!). I have no one, probably, to help so I am hoping a net will help. My birds have been able to be caught in the dark when they were fightened from roost but they know me. Whoever "owned" them needs hurt. I just remembered I had a lighted ballcap so yeah!!!!

6. OnlyOrps

OnlyOrps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    It is sad when people aren't responsible. I've had this problem with rehoming fixed boy goats. They make great pets but unfortunately people do not always make great owners and they suffer due to human ignorance. I'd rather put them in my freezer than send them to an uncertain future...

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Dumping of any animal is irresponsible and inhumane. I get having surprise or unwanted cockerels - it happens, but it falls upon the "owner" to responsibly take care of the situation be that by re-homing or butchering the bird. We are the "lucky recipients" of multiple animals a year that are dumped near our property.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  8. cute bantams

Jan 27, 2015
    North Texas
    It is just like the dogs in our neighbor hood I've rescued a couple strays [​IMG] poor unwanted animals

9. chickchoon1

Sep 5, 2014
    Ohio
    Neighbor gave a go-ahead but she thinks roos are on her neighbors land and those neighbors are new(I think) so just put note in their mailbox. I assume the roos aren't theirs and if they ARE theirs I will have a word with them. If I manage to catch them I have to quaranteen them until I can make sure(couple days) no one tries to claim them(would need detailed description!) Sounded so much louder than mine this morning!!

10. chickchoon1

Sep 5, 2014
    Ohio
    Update-neighbor told me that the guy at end of road told HER that roos were approachable and they were on his porch. Wish I had known sooner but at least they haven't been starving. He claims they both sleep under his deck so I question who I heard across street this morning. More dumps. Hes even going to try to load them into the kennel I brought and call me. I let him know they are easier to catch while hungry(and eating). He was also good about understanding I wouldn't be keeping them as pets but he said his wife wouldn't let him kill them so I hope that doesn't hurt my chance of getting them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by