So dissapointed... no new chicks for me this year

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by unionwirewoman, Jan 25, 2008.

1. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    Just found out today I am being rotated to a different shop in Feb. The job Ill be going to is 120 miles away , so I won't be home 4 days a week .
    I was sooo looking forward to our usual chicks (about 50 meat birds ) and some new layers espcially since my BR fiona died . Now I can't even think about getting chicks since I have no one experienced enough to look after the babies . Our roomate will take care of the grown ups , cats horses etc. it really kinda put me in a bad mood .
    On the up side , the job I'm going to is the one my fiance' is running so I'll see him more and we'll save money . And just to let everyone know , we've worked together before for almost a year and had no problems with being together 24/7 .
    Guess I'll have to look in the local classifieds for free or cheap layers and a rooster . It seems like they're always advertising free chickens , but now that I want some , there are none ![​IMG]

2. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Check your local freecycle group online. They are posted for quite regularly here in AR.

3. dbjay417

dbjay417 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    I find that working with loved ones is only bad when communication is lacking and the aspects of the personal vs business relationships are not clearly outlined.

When i dropped out of highschool I became a painter, and i worked as an apprentice with my father as my foreman for 5 years. We never had any problems.

4. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    It's a good thing you mentioned you and your fiancee had worked together before.

I was thinking "RUN"!!!!

If I had to work with my wife we'd be divorced in a week.

5. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    I was thinking more along the lines of murder Purple Chicken!! Not sure who would kill who first but the 24/7 thing is way too much togetherness for me, lol!! Sounds like you must have worked out your issues with the stepdaughter to be UWW, or if you haven't, this job-forced separation from the homebase should help, right? Hope it all works out great for you, the new job locale, the new hubby, new chicks and the new kid [​IMG]

6. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Well, I must be strange - or unique [​IMG] I've worked with my husband for the past 20+ years and have been married for 32 of those. We hardly ever argue, sometimes I piss him off, or vice versa, but that goes with the territory.

We hang out together at home too!

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:[​IMG]

If I worked with my Hubby - I'd be his boss within a week [​IMG] Divorced in about three......... and then I'd fire him!

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

My husband and I have farmed together for the last 34+ years, which means we're pretty much together 24/7. Wouldn't have it any other way!!

9. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    It's so nice to hear that there are other people out there can work with their SO'and then come home and be able to spend time with them ! I was begining to think I was the only one ! Not saying we don't have our arguments , but everything gets worked out quickly and without yelling . Communication is a BIG factor in a relationship , and will either make or break it as time goes by . I always remember to bring my work attitude to work and leave it there . [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by