So do I have any chance?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jsvand5, Oct 16, 2011.

1. jsvand5

jsvand5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    My power went out for about 12 hrs last night. I am at day 16. When I woke up this morning the temp in the incubator was at 79 degrees.

2. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Bring that temperature back up and hope, you always have a chance!

3. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    My incubator died and I didn't notice till the next day. I quickly moved them into the second unit even though the temp was down to 80*. They hatched a few days late but they did hatch . Don't give up hope!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. chixruleboysdrool

chixruleboysdrool Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Portland,ME
    One time when I came home from school my incubator temperature was at 71 degrees. I don't know how long it was like that, because when I left 10 hours ago it was at 100.
    The next day I came home and it was at 114! I'm worried that they didn't make it... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Quote:What kind of bator do you have?

6. chixruleboysdrool

chixruleboysdrool Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Portland,ME
    I have a Hovabator model 2362n

7. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    My incubator was off for between 12 and 24 hours (lead accidentally pulled out)with night time temps. in the 40s, and hatched 5/6 eggs successfully. I was only on day 7, though. Fingers crossed and you may still have a good hatch.

If the temp. goes too high and for too long then the embryo will die, but if the temp is too low and not for too long, the hatch is delayed, but still usually is successful. Nature has a way of compensating for hens who go on holiday during their brooding, get lost going back to their eggs, or lose a few for a while at the side of the nest, but not generally for unintentional attempts to cook them. If the temperature spike is short you may, however, still get away with it.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  8. Phantom_Rooster

Phantom_Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    NW Louisiana
    The experience of others sounds promising. I feared the same thing could happen to me. I just dug out my old broken inverter. I took it apart and blew out the fan. Now it is working. If you have one or could have access to one, it could help in a pinch. You probably know this. Best of luck to you.

9. jsvand5

jsvand5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    I think I should be ok. It's tough to see much since they are so close to hatching but I saw movement in at least some of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by