So..duck just laid first egg since i got her, question inside......

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Nikkumz, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Nikkumz

Nikkumz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    So i bought two ducks from a lady around here, she had hatched a clutch or two this year already and is supposably an awesome mommy. Well, all my animals free range, including my goat and dog and all chickens and ducks. My ducks are hell to get into the coop at night so most nights they just sleep in the yard, under one of the kid toys.
    Now, i want to let her lay and hatch a clutch, but should i just leave the egg where i found it, cuz she wasnt even near it at all. Or should i just keep gthering them up till she lays enough then put them back outside?
    Im afraid if i leave them out there, one of the other animals will get them.

2. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Keep gathering and put a couple of wooden or ceramic eggs in the nest. She'll figure out a safe place to lay her nest when she's ready.

3. Nikkumz

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    Ok, awesome thanks! I will try that, anyone know where i can get those? lol

4. ZooKeeperInTheMaking

ZooKeeperInTheMaking Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2011
    Llwyngwril
    hey, how old are your ducks? :S i have 2 aylesbury and im trying to figure out when they'll start laying.. [​IMG] and mine are horrendous trying to get them into their pen too! for the last 3 nights they've gone to bed with the chickens in their coop [​IMG]

5. Nikkumz

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    Lol, mine share a coop with the chickens! Maybe i should make them thier own little coop! She was from last years hatch the lady said so im guessing about a year and a half.

6. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Quote:Should be at or around 6 months old. Training the ducks to go to their pen can take awhile, they are a bit harder to teach given their natural instincts aren't to go in a dark box, but they are very trainable with patience. [​IMG]

7. ZooKeeperInTheMaking

ZooKeeperInTheMaking Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2011
    Llwyngwril
    Quote:Should be at or around 6 months old. Training the ducks to go to their pen can take awhile, they are a bit harder to teach given their natural instincts aren't to go in a dark box, but they are very trainable with patience. [​IMG]

ooh okay thanks [​IMG] well i have a secure lean-to on the side of my house so they can walk about that but they still must hate it! i've even dumped a load of straw in each corner for them to get comfty but no!

its so frustrating when they go in with the chickens as they come out in the morning filthy and covered in poop! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by