So.......egg turners?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by farmerlor, Jan 30, 2009.

1. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

So, when you get an incubator with an automatic egg turner does it actually TURN the eggs or does it just tilt them from side to side? I'm looking at upgrading my incubator system and I'm wondering about the egg turner thingy.

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    they just tilt...unless you don't put them in in-correctly...then they roll around and get broke

oops had it as put them in correctly [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Yeah they tilt side to side.

4. farmerlor

Thanks! Good to know!

5. rodandbrandy

rodandbrandy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    Instead of egg turners I have heard people put eggs in egg cartons and tilt them side to side and even hatch in them, less mess and cheaper...[​IMG]

6. farmerlor

That's exactly what I'm doing with this hatch-I put them in egg cartons and raise up the sides every hour but I'm also going in every three or four hours and actually turning the eggs too. Might have some pretty well exercised babies when they hatch.

7. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I ran into two problems when I did that: Constantly trying to remember if I had turned them, and having to open the incubator and disturb the temps and humidity. If you have to do it that way, just remember to turn them three times a day- you don't have to do it every hour. It will help your incubator be more stable.

8. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    I am using this method. I cut the bottoms out of an egg carton. Put my eggs in it, then tilt them to the side. I can slide the egg carton back and forth and the eggs will tilt side to side. I have heard that an odd number of turns is best. So, I am turning them 5 times a day. This method is working well for me. I do it quickly because I want to maintain as even of a temperature as possible.

9. Buster

Buster Back to Work

The reason to turn them is just to keep the embryo from sticking to one side or the other. You don't have to constantly move them to accomplish that. Good luck!

10. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:Great advice! I made a chart and use tally marks to keep track. If I didn't do this, I wouldn't be able to remember how many times I turned them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by