So Eggcited!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AandAranch, Aug 17, 2013.

1. AandAranch

AandAranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Eastern South Dakota
    Just wanted to share my first time experience with hatching eggs. I used the Rcom mini incubator and had a wonderful experience throughout the whole process. I incubated 2 Ameracauna/Black Copper Marans mixed eggs, 1 Jersey Black Giant/Black Copper Marans egg, and one button quail (one of my female button quail died so I decided to incubate her first and only egg in rememberance.) I was a nervous/excited wreck for about 22 days. I'm so grateful for this site though. It was nice to know that whenever I had a question about the incubating and hatching process I could just come here and type it in and find the answer. Well on the 21st day they finally started to pip (the button quail pipped the day before but waited a full 28 hours before zipping!) All of them did wonderful. My husband had to help a couple of them out of the shell a little but barely did anything at all. Those little chicks are such champs. As of yesterday morning I am the proud mama if 4 little chicks. I had a 100% hatch rate. They are all doing so well. Super healthy and active with perfect little feet. It was a complete success. Now I know why people on here get addicted to this stuff. It is so satisfying watching them finally breaking out of their shells and taking their first steps after caring so attentively for their eggs. If anyone hasn't already tried incubating and wants to, I strongly recommend it.

2. Pharmacy Chick

Pharmacy Chick Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2012
    West Texas
    Wow! So glad all your eggs hatched. Hope I'll be as lucky in a couple weeks :)

3. AandAranch

Aug 10, 2013
    Eastern South Dakota
    Thanks you. It was so much fun. I'm sure your hatch will do great. It's amazing how in tune you get with those little chicks needs while they're trying to hatch. (Probably because of the constant watching we do for those last few days. :) ) What are you incubating right now? I plan on setting some button quail eggs today.

4. Pharmacy Chick

Pharmacy Chick Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2012
    West Texas
    I have 6 lavender Ameraucana eggs with 6 dancing embryos inside! I love to candle them... I try not to be too obsessive, lol :) Good luck on your quail. Wish I had room for some.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    That is great! Good luck on your hatch!

6. AandAranch

Aug 10, 2013
    Eastern South Dakota
    Yay! It's always so wonderful to see those little embryos moving. I hope eveything goes well. Love candling as well but only allow myself to do that two or three times during the whole incubation process. Button quail are a cake walk after owning chickens. They are so small and eat so little. Plus if you only keep a male and a female separate from others they are perfectly content to live in a parakeet cage. And they make the cutest sounds. I love my little buttons. Thanks. I hope most of them hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by