So embarassed... I think I traumatized my pullet.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lostbody, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Lostbody

Lostbody Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    Oakland, CA
    Long story short: one of my girls got trapped under an upturned tupperware and I wasn't found for TWO WHOLE DAYS!

When we got her out she was soaked (in H2O from her own breath?), caked with poo, and unquenchably thirsty. I had to take the food and water out of the brooder eventually because I thought she might hurt herself -- you know, the way they say pidgeons will eat rice at a wedding and keep eating untill they explode.

I rinsed her off and towel dried her that night, but her feathers still smell a little funky. It's been another two days since she was found... would another bath help? What kind of soap is safe for young'ns? What about a dust bath with DE?

2. lacasitarojafarm

lacasitarojafarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Skagit Valley, WA
    Give her a nice warm bath to make up. You can dry her inside or with a blower on low. We did that by accident (well not for 2 days just one workday) with our chicks when they were small. [​IMG]

3. Lostbody

Sep 21, 2010
    Oakland, CA
    Just water? Or should I use glycerine soap?

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Mild dishwashing liquid or any mild shampoo (even pet shampoo) should work just fine...

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I like to use that bubble bath for kiddies - the mild formula, no tears. You soak them in the warm suds and don't even need to rinse. Works great on bathing chickens of all ages, or even just a touch-up soak for crusty bums.

So glad you found her!

6. Lostbody

Sep 21, 2010
    Oakland, CA
    I'd never bathed a chicken before, but she was so into it, and so cute... I gave the other girls baths, too.
    I can't believe I've never tried this before. Bathing chickens is so entertaining.
    I guess The Steve Miller Band was right...
    "Everything's better when wet!" [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by