So, exactly how...?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Crusty McPottydoodle, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Crusty McPottydoodle

Crusty McPottydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    The Wet Coast
  2. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    They are being turned away because there is only one functional runway at the Port au Prince airport. This is the bottleneck to the whole operation. I believe that several countries are also sending hospital boats into the area.

3. Crusty McPottydoodle

Crusty McPottydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    The Wet Coast
    mom'sfolly :

They are being turned away because there is only one functional runway at the Port au Prince airport. This is the bottleneck to the whole operation. I believe that several countries are also sending hospital boats into the area.

I don't buy it.

A Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) cargo plane carrying 12 tons of medical equipment, including drugs, surgical supplies and two dialysis machines, was turned away three times from Port-au-Prince airport since Sunday night despite repeated assurances of its ability to land there.​

4. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Turned away by whom and assurances from whom? The country is in turmoil and communication is shot. Leadership is non-existent. The airport is bottled up with more planes wanting to land than they usually see in a year. Air traffic control tower is down. I watched them helicopter in troops and supplies today while the crowds clapped and cheered.

But, boats will have trouble too the harbor is full of wharfs and docks and one huge crane that toppled into the water.

A week is a long time, but this is a huge operation being mounted.....

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Are they at least plane dropping supplies yet?? I know they are sending troops over..

6. redstars

redstars Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    south dartmouth ma
    Quote:Yes they are dropping supplies.
    It was on the news this morning.I can't believe they took a week to do it.

7. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    It didn't take them a week to get supplies there, it is just that demand is so very high that there was no way to get the volume of supplies there quickly when transportation is so damaged. Air dropped supplies are dangerous, they hurt civilians and frequently only the strong and the fast get the supplies and many of it is so damaged by the drop as to be useless. Air drops are a last resort.

What I was waiting for them to do is rain down MREs and water pouches. I don't think they did. Dropped by themselves they should have been fine.

8. FarmerChick

FarmerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    From an article"

But the good news was overshadowed by the frustrating fact that the world still can't get enough food and water to the hungry and thirsty.

"We need so much. Food, clothes, we need everything. I don't know whose responsibility it is, but they need to give us something soon," said Sophia Eltime, a 29-year-old mother of two who has been living under a bedsheet with seven members of her extended family.

The World Food Program said more than 250,000 ready-to-eat food rations had been distributed in Haiti by Tuesday, reaching only a fraction of the 3 million people thought to be in desperate need.

Haiti was hit by a 6.1 aftershock...WOW

How do you feed/water/cloth and more supplies to handle 3 million people?

It is mind boggling the amt. of help they require.

9. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/01/20/haiti.earthquake/index.html?hpt=C1

Talks
    about this mornings aftershock AND the US Comfort which is a state of the art medical ship. They will be able to ferry the injured to the ship for treatment, taking the pressure off of the hospitals. They have already begun air lifting some of the more serious cases to the ship.

It sounds like the Comfort is a mobile hospital complete with OR's etc.

God bless all who are working to help in Haiti.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by