So excited. Almost making money off my chickens!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kaitie09, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    I recently started selling eggs because I was getting 16 a day. Put an ad on CL and imminently got a hit! A guy came by and picked up 3 dozen for $6. This week he called and picked up another 3 dozen. He said he used to buy from a farm but mine were much better and he will be buying at least 3 dozen a week. Feed around here costs $16 a bag and that lasts us 2 weeks. So I am pretty much paying for their feed from one guy, and I still have 6 more dozen a week I could sell. I am continuously getting hits on my ad too, so hopefully I'll soon be making money off my birds!

You all know what that means...I can just get more, because they are basically free now.

2. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Congrats on getting a buyer for your eggs :)

3. northwestnative

northwestnative New Egg

Jan 30, 2012
    Olympic Peninsula
    Isn't it fun selling fresh eggs? It feels so rewarding to offer quality fresh eggs to people. I put a small flyer on the doors of people around my rural neighborhood offering free delivery for regular customer and was thrilled with the response I got. In my area I have to travel (by foot or car) to the school bus twice per day so it doesn't amount to any additional cost. Some customers get regular delivery and others just call when they need a dozen. I love it and I don't have to allow people into my home. CL is great, but do be careful. When I use it for selling outgrown kids clothes, for example, I meet the person at the local market parking lot.

4. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Congratulations! That's very good news. :woot
    Sweet that he says your eggs are better than what he used to buy. You must be very proud of your girls! ;)

5. Ashburnham

Ashburnham Chillin' With My Peeps

You should be able to get more than $2 a dozen for fresh free-range eggs. i sell mine for $4 a doz and people still tell me i'm selling them too cheap!

6. newfoundland

newfoundland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Great news! I know how you feel, I have a similar arrangement with my duck eggs. The feeling of triumph is quite heady isn't it.

7. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    The average around here for all natural eggs is $2 per dozen. My guys don't free range (I consider free-range outside of their run). I wish I lived somewhere else that the average was $4.

8. MammaBear

MammaBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    SW PA
    The eggs here are anywhere from $1.50 - $4.00. I sell mine for $3.00. The girl down the road sells hers for $1.50. Here is what I do. My husband had a very serious concussion and we were constantly going to Dr.'s offices. Being a talker who has never met a stranger, I bragged on my girls all the time. Now, on Thursdays I deliver my eggs to several Dr.'s offices. While at the bank I brag on my girls and now deliver to 2 banks, and I just picked up a Chinese restaurant. Then, since I am in town, I buy my feed and do the grocery shopping. I get 40 eggs a day and usually sell out every other week.

9. weimlikeschicks

weimlikeschicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    That is really cool, congrats!

I hope to get there some day, I think I can network through family and friends who don't live in the country. Every week or so I have to commute to the larger city area so I could deliver then. I am a couple years at least from that goal, though.

I just can't wait for that same reaction you got. "These eggs are better than anything I have bought in a store" yessssssssssssssss :)
    I can't even eat industrial chicken eggs anymore, raising chickens just seems like the logical step to take at this point.

10. jruhle

jruhle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    I've been selling eggs for $5/dozen and people are real happy to pay. When you live in Alaska and wait for your eggs to arrive a month later on the barge, who knows how long they've been sitting around? Not to mention my eggs are from cage free spoiled rotten hens! Store bought eggs make me sick!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by