So excited!Got 7 baby chicks today-question about EE's--ADDED NEW PICS

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by msgenie516, Mar 27, 2009.

1. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

I knew my local Agway was expecting a shipment of baby chicks today so I called them this morning to see if they came in. Sure enough, they were in the store already! So I RUSHED over there (probably at least 12 miles from home) so that I could pick them before there was nothing left.

I DESPERATELY wanted some EE's (they call them Araucanas, but I know better) and the last time I spoke with someone, they said they sold out within 1 hour the last time they had them. DH knew about this and when I told him I was going there for the chicks, he said "Keep it under 100!" He knew how badly I wanted them! Really, though, I don't speed but it was tempting! [​IMG]

So I came home with 4 EE's, 2 BR's, and one BO (for my grandson) and a 50 pound bag of chick starter feed. Well, guess who will be raising the BO??? I don't mind, LOVE my chickens!

I do have a question about the EE's. I was expecting to see a multitude of patterns and colors and they all look very similar. They are brown with some striping and show signs of having muffs. One is a bit darker than the rest. Are these likely to feather out in different colors? I never had EE chicks before so I have no idea what to expect.

I have two REAL MUTT EE's (I know EE's are all mutts but these are really mixed up, lucky I am getting green eggs from them). I got one as a chick and it was black then and is still black. The other one is real pretty with a black and white pattern, but I got that one when it was older already. Here is a picture of that one:

[​IMG]

Any input would be greatly appreciated! [​IMG] Genie

Edited to add: I got my camera battery charged up and got some pics of the new babies. Not all of them are in all of the pictures. The brown ones are the EE's. I have had more time to look them over and two look the same, one is a little darker, and one is quite a bit darker, but all are basically brown. As another poster already mentioned, they remind me a bit of chipmunks.

Not sure, but I think Agway (the feed store where I got them) gets their baby chicks from McMurray's. Their little muffs are lighter in color which makes them look like old men with beards! (Hope I don't offend any of the older men! [​IMG]) I don't know if this shows up in the pictures.

So here they are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  2. riderbecky

riderbecky Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ottawa Valley
    I have no idea [​IMG] Guess you'll just have to wait and see. Though pics of your new fuzzies would be nice.

I have a question though...you DH said to keep it under 100 and you came back with so few [​IMG] ...I would have gotten at least 25 or 30. How could you control youself?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

That's a beautiful bird you have there. I have 6 EE's that all look similar yet different. They have the gold/bronze feathers with muffs, a couple have some green feathers in there too. I need to get pics. EE's do come in all colors. If the chicks look alike they will probably all look alike when they are grown....

4. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    You had the green light for 100! And you only got a few!!! OMG! If my DH told me 100, i would come home with 110!!! [​IMG]

5. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Hee, Hee. I thought she meant 100 chicks, too! He was talking about, don't go over 100 mph! [​IMG]

6. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    I like your mutt ee she is a beauty.
    pictures of chicks please.
    Omran

7. ears73

ears73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    I'd love to see pics of the EE's... We just hatched 5 that were crossed w/a BLRW roo... I can't wait to see them feather out! They are all 'chipmunk' striped like the Ameraucanas we bought from McMurray.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Please post some pics of your new babies!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Quote:Hi,

Yep, he meant not to go over 100 MPH! I think if I brought home 100 chicks, he would KILL me! [​IMG] Luckily, the feed store has a minimum purchase of 6, so at least I could get that many! And, of course, I ADDED the one BO for my grandson, couldn't include that in the minimum! [​IMG] Genie

10. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Aww, what sweet little darlings!! I have a couple chipmunk looking EE's that are starting to feather out. I will try and post pictures of them soon. I love watching them change and grow. I am also thrilled to have one that is a buff and white pattern. She is very sweet and pretty. Congrats on the new little ones!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by