So excited Khaki/ Platinum sumatra!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by vetgirl00us, Dec 11, 2011.

1. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    I spent a good bit of money on eggs from a dealer in Fl with the khakis and when I finally got some to hatch, many didn't make it past a few days. I ended up with 3 pullets (go figure) and they are 8 mos old. I was about to sell them because I was not going to buy more eggs from that seller and I did not want to deal with buying a black sumatra and having to go thru several generations of breeding and hatching to get to khaki, dun and platinum. Lo and behold I found a nice lady who had only a khaki roo and no hens so she decided to let me get him. I drove 3 1/2 hours each way and picked up my rooster yesterday. He is very beautiful (6mos old) and growing a nice tail. So as of right now I have a quad of the sumatra. My girls don't seem too excited about the roo and he doesn't seem to know what they are as he was raised with silkies but I hope they settle in soon and I expect them to be laying in the spring.

2. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    Pics please! [​IMG] I have a soft spot for Sumatras [​IMG]

3. Soli

Soli Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
  4. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Yep I'm pretty sure its against BYC rules to have a khaki sumatra roo without posting pics of him....I'm pretty sure I read that s somewhere.. so you should probably get some pics up really quickly. [​IMG]

5. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    LOL, I will work on some pics. I got my pen fixed up for him and the 3 ladies and he was raised in a wire pen around silkies so he's never seen another sumatra. Needless to say he tried to beat the tar out of all of them. I had to put him back in the cage and leave the 3 females in the pen so they can get used to seeing each other. The girls are not happy because they were loose until today. Once they are all playing nice I will get pics. These khakis are such nice colored birds. I love that silvery beige color.

6. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Pictures! We need pictures! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Gresh

Gresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Yes, you must post some pictures! Sounds like you got a good deal going for you. [​IMG]

~Gresh~

8. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I have 5 Khaki Sumatra eggs in the incubator now, I'm really hoping at least a few hatch. [​IMG]

I would still love to see pictures of your birds!

9. jotobin

jotobin New Egg

Jul 21, 2014
    Vetgirl.. It has been years since your last post. Any luck breeding the platinums? Does anyone know where some could be acquired?

10. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Not Vetgirl, but I figured I'd chime in...

I hatched a single Platinum Sumatra chick a few years ago, it grew up to be a cockerel that I bred to Black hens.

I had a nice flock of Black, Blue, Dun, & Platinum birds going before I decided to give the breed up and focus on my Orpingtons. I never managed to get around to breeding Dun X Dun to hatch any Khaki birds though.

There are a few people with Dun Sumatras here on BYC, you just have to search for them. They're pretty rare still, but not impossible to find.

Good luck!

Dun cockerel.
    [​IMG]

Mixed flock, Dun, Black, & Platinum. (There's a Blue Copper Olive Egger in there too who thought she was a Sumatra... [​IMG])
    [​IMG]

Platinum pair.
    [​IMG]
    My original Platinum cock, showing Dun in his pyle zones.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by