So excited!! My husband agreed to a large coop!

Amyh

Songster
9 Years
Jul 11, 2010
North Carolina
My husband must feel sorry for me because I'm so miserably pregnant that he agreed to build a large coop for me! I have a small coop that holds four chickens, but now we have four adults and two chicks and I'm drooling over some other breeds, so we will need a much bigger space.

wee.gif

I am super excited!! We are going to clear out the woods and build the floor today. And when I say "we" I really mean him. (shhhhh)

wee.gif
celebrate.gif
Way to go!!!!
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
There is no need to be in denial when it come to the size of coop that we really need. I think that you will need an incubator soon too. I would milk that being pregnant thing for all it worth, especially with how hot it has been this summer.
gig.gif
I am a chicken enabler.

How large is "large?" We want to know all about it. Take pictures...lots of pictures. Congrats on the baby! And yeah, I agree with justbugged...milk it for all it's worth!
ya.gif

Just make sure he hurries up and finishes it before the baby comes!! (You don't want to be nagging him to build the coop AND asking him to change diapers at the same time.)

Congrats on the coop and your little one!

Luke13:34 :

Just make sure he hurries up and finishes it before the baby comes!! (You don't want to be nagging him to build the coop AND asking him to change diapers at the same time.)

Congrats on the coop and your little one!

Haha, yes only nag of one thing at at time
wink.png

Be sure it really is LARGE! You will always want more more more!!!! (I sure hope he doesn't read this!) ... heheh, ok, but even if you don't get as carried away as most of us do, it's good to have room for storage, a separate section for breeding stock maybe and a broody/brooder section and lots of extra space and windows. Larger is ALWAYS better!!! If it's TOO large, well, you can wall off the parts for the chickens and the rest is good storage... but too SMALL and it's a pain to add on later! Just my thinkin'!

Well, it's probably not very big to some of you, but it's pretty big compared to our little coop! It will be 8 x 8 and should be big enough for us for a while!! We aren't planning to do a run right now because our chickens free range in our fenced in yard, but I eventually would like to do a small run for days when I can't let them in the yard, so at least they have some extra room. I have dogs that I cannot trust, so if the chickens are in the yard, the dogs have to be watched, or locked in the house.

He worked so hard today in the heat! The floor and four walls are finished and squared. He will be putting the roof on over the next few days and then I am searching Craig's list for some free metal roofing for over the wood. He will build a door and cut out the small door for the chickens. I think we will be using 5 gallon buckets for nesting boxes until he has the chance to build a nesting box that I can collect our eggs from outside the building.

I will post pictures when he finishes!! It's looking great so far and I am already checking out local breeders for certain breeds for our flock. We are going to have a very diverse flock!!!!

Congrats. I went to a local lumber yard and got free "cover sheets" for their metal roofing. Some had the edges bent, but nothing a hammer couldn't fix. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom