So excited my son getting silkies for Christmas (newbies)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by son4momtime, Dec 6, 2013.

1. son4momtime

son4momtime Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2013
    Tampa Florida
    Hi All..New to this. Trying to put together a coop which will be easy to clean and good for the chicks..What kind of floor would be best I have some old rubber mats I had in the garage was wondering would that work? Any ideas would be helpful...Thanks

2. Catfish267

Catfish267 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2012
    I Don't Remember
    most people use pine shaving or straw. I use a raised wire floor. They pop a lot so be prepared. Go ahead and give the mat a try just be prepared if it doesn't work[​IMG]

3. texgardengal

texgardengal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    Hello from Texas!!
    I'm new to raising chickens too. I have my coop on the ground... I cover it with hay. Every few days I rake it up, and replace it with new fresh hay. Hope this helps!!:)

4. son4momtime

Dec 6, 2013
    Tampa Florida
    So I should't worry about a floor what happens when it rains? I would need a second level.

5. son4momtime

Dec 6, 2013
    Tampa Florida
    Thanks

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You might want to check out the Coop/Run Design and Maintenance forum for ideas. What kind of bottom or floor would work best will depend on a number of things like your area's weather, if you get a lot of rain, snow or flooding, where you are able to put the coop in your yard for drainage, etc. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance

7. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hi and :welcome

Our chicken coop doesn't really have a floor, it's built straight on the ground so the floor is dirt. We put grass clippings in there as well to make it smell nice. :p

But yes, most people use wood chips and stuff like that, they're easy to just sweep out when you're cleaning.

As for rain, I can't help you with that as it doesn't rain much here! But have a look in the forum the above poster linked.

Good luck!
    I hope you find all the info you need here, and enjoy the site. :D

8. City farm

City farm Overrun With Chickens

Jul 6, 2012
    Mesa, Arizona U.S.A.
    So glad you are on board.. Post some photos of your flock & coop..
    We use a mix of stuff for the floor.. Hay, pine chips, pine needles, and freshly mowed grass.
    Really what ever we can get.. I have seen sand.. We might try some in one area.. Once you
    have the sand down, you can use a kitty litter scooper to clean out the poo... We recycle
    the flooring to a group of our neighbors for their compost/garden... You will love this Fourm !!
    :welcome

9. City farm

City farm Overrun With Chickens

Jul 6, 2012
    Mesa, Arizona U.S.A.
    Love your photo!! I saved the image in our iPad.. I wish I could do that for a welcome.. My iPad will not let me post photos from my albums?? :goodpost:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by