1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So excited!! Putting in my chick order Saturday!!! What about my kids helping?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DawnB, Feb 4, 2013.

1. DawnB

DawnB Chillin' With My Peeps

Well...I don't know who's more excited...me or my children (I'm such a dork!) I love doing this kind of stuff and really like that they are so into it too (well, at least for the first couple of days! [​IMG]) They're 7 & 9, so even a little bit is pretty darn good!

Any advice on kids and getting new chicks? Aside from the "be gentle" and "wash your hands" mantras, are there better things for them to do to help?

We're gonna get 10 Australorps and least 5 EE's...can't wait!

2. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    My kids have been gentle with the chicks from day one. Always teach to "go slow" and snuggle them close (and sit on the floor with them!) My kids are almost 6 and almost 9. :) Great little farm hands in the making!

There is a February Hatch along going! Go join in!! [​IMG]

3. insanity

insanity Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2013
    Northwest Wy
    I had my three year old help setup the brooder, and pick out accessories. he did pretty well last year after I explained they were babies.Plus I put them in the garage so he could only go see them with a chaperon(tried sneaking out twice)

4. DawnB

DawnB Chillin' With My Peeps

Ours are probably going to go on the dining room table (you know...the one that's supposed to be for company and big dinners and never gets used!)...well, now we've got a good use! Haha!

My boys should be good with them...but I'm gonna have to make the lid good...cats! Unfortunately, it's been so cold here that we can't put them in the garage....oh well...chick-sitting it is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by