So excited, today I got 6 Silkie peeps, never had them before

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dmdhart, May 29, 2010.

1. dmdhart

dmdhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Millwood, VA
    :weeeAt this point I'm thinking that my hobby has become an obsession, lol. You would think that 30 chickens (of all different varieties) would be enough, but today I got 6 silkie bantam peeps. I could not resist. I have a feeling though that my other chickens might laugh at them. They are very silly looking. For now they are residing in my laundry room under a light. I have never had silkies before. Can anyone tell me about them, and if there is anything special I should know about them?

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Congrats! Yep, those silkie chickens are silly looking, but they are very sweet birds!!! You're gonna love them. [​IMG] Funny, you were wondering what your other chickens would think of them, [​IMG]! Just remember, because of all those feathers around their faces, they may have limited sight. If you have a swimming pool, its best to keep them clear or that. Enjoy them, have fun!!

3. dmdhart

dmdhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Millwood, VA
    Should I trim the feathers around their eyes? No swimming pool here. I wish!

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Yes, you could do that. It will help them a lot! [​IMG]

5. jojo@rolling acres farm

jojo@rolling acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    I think you'll really like them. I have a little black silkie hen that is just naturally sweet and tame. When she sees me out in the yard she just charges over to see me. I didn't play with her much as a chick...she is just naturally this way. I really enjoy her and the rest of my silkies...I bet you will too.

Joni

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by