SO excited!!

Morgan7782

Dense Egg Goo
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
Sacramento CA
I am getting new chickies on Tuesday this week!! They are 2 and 1/2 months old, right around the age of my 11 weekers, and I am so excited!!! I am getting 2 Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, and 2 Blue Wyandottes, from a nice lady up north a little bit! She said the BLRW she has are more of a 'splash' pattern, but I am fine with whatever as long as they don't look like my Barred Rock or Easter Egger lol! And all I care is they are friendly and lay eggs. I am so excited.. Does anybody have any tips on what to look for in health? The girls I am getting will have been transported to me half way (around Loomis for those of you in California), and then brought to their new home.

Anyway it's:
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
yippiechickie.gif
D.gif
thumbsup.gif
woot.gif
ya.gif
clap.gif
HERE all the way!!
big_smile.png

I would love to see pics of both!! Especially the blue laced red! Sounds pretty!!
big_smile.png

Congrats on the new additions!!
woot.gif

As far as health goes I would keep them away from your other girls for a few days before actually introducing them. Just in case one of them is carrying something. The quarantine period will give you a chance to observe them to make sure. And what to look for: Make sure the eyes and nostrils are clean/dry (no discharge), healthy birds are usually alert and active as opposed to droopy and lethargic.

I am sure others on here will have more to add!
smile.png

Last edited:
Thank you for the great advice! I am off to the feed store now to get my 2nd feeder. So much for JUST having two hens! Hahaha. I will look for any ill signs after they's adjusted to the drive home and such. I am so happy to get coop ready girls, though it was tons of fun raising chicks.

I am curious what they look like as well! My EE is is orange/black, and the Barred Rock is, well striped
big_smile.png
As long as these girls don't look the same I am happy. I want a colorful flock
big_smile.png
I looked up BLRW and Splash Wyandottes to just get some idea of what to expect with the BLRW girls. The lady said they are sort of a splashy color. I assume the blue wyandottes are just that, some various shade of the blueish/grey. I am so excited to see their personalities too. I will DEFINATELY post pictures as soon as I can!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
::excited dance::

Last edited:
Alright I just talked to my chicken lady, and she will be bringing the girls down on Tuesday, so TOMORROW! Eeee! ::jumps up and down:: I am SO excited!! I will have such a variaty of color and personality! I hope my dog adjust to these new girls just as well as Munk and Joon and I sure hope he doesn't try to protect the old girls from the new girls lol! I am just very excited, will be driving to meet her in Loomis. She lives in Gold Run, about 63 miles north east of me. I would LOVE to go up there and get my pick of the 10 she has, but in my truck that is waaaaaay too much gas! I am still thinking over the idea though.. I really want to be able to pick my 4 from the group of 10... Hmmmm...
idunno.gif
idunno.gif

Actually, quarantine should be 30 days. And if you are able to see her set-up, that's always a good idea. You can tell a lot about their health by seeing where they come from.

I know 30 days seems long, but much better to be as safe as possible - the downside is highly undesirable. You might do a search on quarantining here for more info to make a decision that feels right for you.

Good luck and congratulations!

Thank you! I will have a seperate area for the new girls, along with washing my hands pretty constantly. I would absolutely love to go up to Gold Run, but will have to check my tank to do it. 126 miles for one trip would be about a tank of gas for me which = 80 bucks.. I keep going back and forth. I would love to see her set up, but not only that, I would like to pick and choose who I want and such. Just gotta figure a way to get up there to avoid using my truck.

Does it really take 30 days to see any health issues? That seems a long time, I had expected 2 weeks or so. These girls will be same age and size as my current two girls. They were vaccinated (though I wanted to avoid that) and the lady has receipt of that and they were fed medicated food until switched to grower. She got the BLRW from a Hatchery as new day olds, and I think she said she bred the blues. And I cannot figure out if the Blue Wyandottes are Blue LACED Wyandottes, or just Blue Wyandottes. I am so new to this breed lol!!

Back
Top Bottom