So Excited

Discussion in 'Quail' started by mochicken, Dec 11, 2011.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    2 days till lockdown on the 29th hatch-along [​IMG]

My uncle is sending some foam incubators to me today that he has given me, I am hoping to get one set up and stabilized by the lockdown time and I will be using it as a hatcher instead of taking my other eggs out of the turners and messing with all that.

2. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    I need an Uncle like yours...looking forward to lock down myself.

I took 25 of my cots to a poultry auction last night to make more room and to see how they would do...got a pretty good ave. price for them. Also got to meet sixshooter and his wife, they are awesome folks!

catch ya later

3. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    We dont have any kind of auction or sale coming up here anytime soon so by time one does come up I'll have about 10k quail hatched lol

4. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    [​IMG] 10K? You'll have to be careful and dilute your market when you finally have one...or you'll end up paying people to take them instead of making a profit.

5. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    lol either that or have a REALLY big get together with someone who grows potatoes and have a bbq lol

6. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    You could try macon or gardner,ks when you're ready for auctions. Macon is geared more toward large exotics but I would imagine it would be closer to you and they have a nice bird swap at the start of their 4 day sales which they have 4 times a year. Gardner has a great big bird sale in march and sept. ETA: I need an uncle like yours too.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  7. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I just ordered a digital thermostat / hygrometer from incubator w-house to put in the foam-a-bator but it wont be here by time I lock down, I guess I can use a thermometer and just make sure theres water in the bottom of it, right? I figure if I put water in it and plug at least one of the vent holes I should easily get 60% humidity?

This is the one I ordered, http://incubatorwarehouse.com/egg-incubator-accessories/incubator-remote-thermometer-hygrometer.html I was going to get the one with an egg but it wont fit in my quail turning trays. I plan to get their heater/fan/digital controller setup soon to get my cabinet incubator started [​IMG]

8. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    my dad just dropped off the stuff my uncle sent,

3 Hovabator & Little giant foamers
    1 "Repti bator" with digital controls for heat and humidity ( Which I might use for this hatch )

ANNNNNNNNNNNND a cool thing, some stuff he had when he was trying to build his own incubator that consists of two heating elements from a foam type incubator in line with a hot water heater type thermostat and a fan [​IMG] all the stuff I need to assemble an incubator

9. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    I don't care for the little giants but have had great luck with my old hova-bator, be carefull using the repta-bator I'm not sure exactly what that model is like but reptiles incubate at much lower temps than birds. Good luck, it sounds like you're set up for all the bator space you will need... for a little while anyway [​IMG]

10. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    yeah the reptibator goes up to 104 degrees F, I'm runnin it and a hovabator to see which has a more stable temp, Im sure I will be using the hovabator. I have the Janoel automatic incubator that I have been using and it is AMAZING but I was looking for strictly a hatcher, I have staggered hatches in the Janoel right now and its a pain in the butt to have to take out the turner in the Janoel and lay down the eggs that are not due for an extra 10 days on after the others hatch and to have to reach in there 2-3 times a day to turn them lets the humidity and heat out that the others need for hatching. I figure I will get the hovabator set up today for lockdown tomorrow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by