SO EXCITED!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SandraMort, Aug 26, 2008.

1. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    I'm down to one week until the first batch of chicks arrive. The area behind the barn is cleared for the pen and I'm waiting for my father in law to bring me the fencing panels. We'll start with those and expand as necessary (and budget allows). Should I choose to, I could go out about 20 feet from the barn and do up to the length of the barn (somewhere between 30 and 50 feet long, haven't measured yet, but it's BIG) without any extra work. Once the coop (elsewhere on the property) is up, that'll be where the broilers go, but they can start in the barn while C. and I build them a coop.

I need to, in no specific order:
    Clean out the barn & repair critter entrances
    Set up barn area run
    Put bedding in barn and (?) outside in the run
    Build the coop
    Set up food and water for both sets of birds
    Set up processing station near garden (water is available, electric close enough to run extension cord)
    Practice processing!
    Set up food storage area (its good for up to a month? two?)

I talked to my farm-familiar upstairs neighbor and he said that in all the time he's been here, the only predator he's seen was a raccoon a long time ago, and he thinks his dogs scared it off, since he hasn't seen it a second time. If the dogs become a problem w/ the birds, he'll help me fence in an area around the broiler coop or I'll add them to the layers, maybe. Cart, horse.

Squeeeeeeee, I cant wait! The kids have already checked with school and while they have to go through formalities, there shouldn't be any problem taking the day off when their chicks arrive later this month.

2. BowChickaBowMow

BowChickaBowMow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    How fun! I felt the same way this spring when we were preparing for our first chicks! (they just started laying 3 days ago)

I'm excited for you! [​IMG] Don't let your to do list get behind you!!!! They'll be here before you know it!!! [​IMG]

3. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    It's already behind, but there's not much I can do until I finish movin (Sunday) and school starts (Wednesday). Until then, all I can do is set up house for the babies, who will be taking up residence in my bathroom.

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    OH I remember how excited I was when I got my first order of chicks [​IMG] Congrats! Share pics of your coop later [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by