So EXCITED!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by redheadscheep, Jan 27, 2015.

1. redheadscheep

redheadscheep Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2015
    Mt Eden, KY
    I just wanted to introduce myself as you may end up seeing many posts from me. I have had a lot of things going on in my life lately and just recently decided to start raising chickens. I am so excited. I am trying to get as much information as I can. I live in Kentucky so I know that they have to be heat and cold tolerant. My plan is to get RIR and Plymouth Rocks. I am hoping that from what I have read are broody and tolerant. Please be patient if I tend to ask too many questions.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - great to see your enthusiasm.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome
    Glad you could join the flock! The learning centre is a great place to start if you are just starting out on your chicken adventure, here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

There are lots different sections in the forum for you to ask as many questions as you need to you. You can never ask too many!! Wishing you the very best of luck with your RIR and Plymouth rocks.
    Hope you enjoy BYC I am sure you will :frow

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

What part of Kentucky are you in? I'm *just* across the river in Indiana so may not be too far from you. Either breed you are considering should be fine - really, there aren't many breeds I would hesitate to keep out here in this climate. There is no such thing as too many questions or being too excited!

5. redheadscheep

redheadscheep Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2015
    Mt Eden, KY
    I am about 10 miles southwest of shelbyville, right on the spencer/shelby line. Thank you so much for the advice and welcomes!!!

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined us.

Rhode Island Reds and Plymouth Rocks should be very good layers for you! I've had one Rhode Island Red, and she's been a very good layer for me.

Good luck with your future flock!

7. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

Rhode Island Reds and Plymouth Rocks are both wonderful breeds that should do well for you. They are known for being very productive and relatively gentle.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

1 person likes this.
  9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Both RIRs and PRs are cold hardy and good layers. How broody your RIRs are may depend on whether your getting them from a hatchery or a private breeder. Hatchery grade RIRs have frequently had the broodiness bred out of them in favor of higher laying production. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

1 person likes this.
  10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by