So far 2 eggs are fertile!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Supermommy486, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    SO a few days ago I asked if I should give my broody hen some eggs. Of course the answer was yes so over three days she now has a total of 7 eggs. I checked the first two she got a few days ago and saw that both have little chikys developing!!! IM SO EXCITED. I will check the other once they are far enough along also but I'm over giddy about the first two. (which at this point I need something to be giddy about)

Ok thanks for letting me share my excitement. [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'm glad you are excited and that it looks like you will get some chicks, but please stop giving her new eggs unless you have a strategy to deal with the staggered hatch. Some eggs may hatch a bit early or late, but they normally take about 21 days to develop and hatch, regardless of when you put them under the hen. The hen will leave the nest with the first ones to hatch when they need to go get food and water, usually 1-1/2 to 2 days after the first ones hatch. She will leave behind any eggs that have not yet hatched. Some people do staggered hatches but my life is complicated enough as it is without going out of my way to make it even more complicated.

Good luck!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Staggered hatches under a broody hen are generally unsuccessful. Ridgerunner is right on the money. She will probably leave the nest within 24 or 36 hours after the first chicks hatch. Be prepared to incubate any remaining eggs, and place the late hatching chicks under her in the evening. Next time try gathering as many eggs as you want to hatch (even over a period of several days) and place them all under her at the same time. Good luck. With a little planning in advance this will turn out OK.

4. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    Ah ok, well guess we will have to wait and see. People suggested 6-7 so that's what she got since the first day I had gathered most of the eggs. And no worries, I'm not giving her more since she has the 7. I will just get an incubator of sorts set up when we get closer to the first two eggs hatch day.
    Thanks for the info [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by