So far? A disappointing hatch.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickintexas, Mar 20, 2011.

1. chickintexas

chickintexas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Spring Branch
    Out of two dozen Silkie eggs, I currently have only 4 hatched out and in the brooder.
    The shipped eggs were placed in the bator and after the first week I had removed half of them right away after candling them. Two were questionable and went back into the bator. Another week later and the two questionable ones were tossed as well. 10 eggs went into lockdown. Another one was tossed last night because it died due to pipping at the wrong end. 5 Silkie eggs left and so far...nothing. One of them is a partridge and I so wanted one of those. [​IMG]
    I'm not new to hatching and from my previous experience, the eggs that do not at least pip within the 24 hour period that the other eggs have hatched are no longer viable.

The ONLY thing I did differently this go round is that I had replaced the white not slip padding the eggs sit on with a black one (the white one I used last year was nasty from hatching and was thrown away). I found the black one, cut it down to size, then placed into my hatcher. When some of the eggs started to hatch, I noticed some weird waffle pattern on the eggs from the pad. At that point I realized that I did not wash the pad before placing it into the hatcher! [​IMG] So now I'm wondering if I had doomed my eggs by placing them on this pad that might have had some oil or other chemical on it.

The padding is out now. There are 6 BLRW sitting on the bare hardware cloth I used for the floor of my hatcher. One BLRW hatched out this morning at 4am. I heard another egg peeping at that time. My temps and humidity are perfect. Here's hoping that the rest of the BLRW hatch today since it is their birthday. [​IMG]

2. chickintexas

Mar 19, 2010
    Spring Branch
    Wanted to add...I do not blame the seller for half of the shipped eggs not making it through the first week. It's a chance that we take when we have eggs shipped.

3. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    I did shipped eggs one time. All had busted air cells, only 3 were fertile, 2 made it to lockdown, and only one hatched. I may try again, but I learned a lot and for now am just sticking to my own eggs.

I totally understand your dissappointment. [​IMG]

4. chickintexas

Mar 19, 2010
    Spring Branch
    I've bought eggs plenty of times online and all but one batch of shipped eggs had great hatches. That's why I'm thinking it was that padding. We'll see how the BLRW eggs go. I know for sure that when my D'uccle eggs are ready for lockdown, there will be no padding at all in the hatcher!

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I had a poor hatch too. 13 eggs, only three chicks, one had to be culled right away. So I've just got two cute little olive eggers. I had a faulty thermometer (liquid separation) and I didn't notice it until I was probably halfway through the hatch. (I blame my old eyes.....didn't see the liquid separation until I bought a magnifying glass.....)

Sometimes it makes a person feel better knowing others have been through a bad hatch too.

Sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by