So Far So Good ... Happy Baby Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TheCrazyChick, Dec 20, 2012.

1. TheCrazyChick

TheCrazyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, the coop is nearing completion and the chickie-doodles are here! I drove to Meyer Hatchery on Monday to pick them up, saving them the stress of the mail-order ordeal. 7 chicks, 7 varieties. All females (hopefully.)

The only one that seemed a little iffy upon arrival home was the White Jersey Giant. I simply made sure she had enhanced water, chicken feed and was extra warm and by Tuesday she was as chipper as the rest. She has actually turned into what I deem as #2 in the pecking order. Yes, even at 5 days old they have determined who is charge - the Buff Orpington is #1 for sure!

Only other problem is someone (I think the newly recovered White Jersey Giant) is pecking everyone's wing feathers out! I am letting them sort that all out among themselves. No one seems to be haggard or anything, just wingless! If it gets out of hand I will put her in the time-out corner. Yes, the time-out corner.

Since they appear to be thriving I have already dubbed them with their monikers ...

Buff Orpington - "Sookie" after the character in True Blood, since she is blonde, bossy, and rather hyper
    White Jersey Giant - "Pearl" since she will be all white
    Easter Egger - "Hazel" for the color of her eggs (blue/green)
    Blue Laced Red Wyandotte - "Moneypenny" after the character in the James Bond movies and because she cost the most!
    Buff Brahma - "Baffie" which is Gaelic for slippers
    Black Australorp - "Duff" which is Gaelic for black
    Barred Rock - "Kraegg" which is Gaelic for rock

One final note for now ... we have 2 very large Golden Doodles dogs, who usually bark at anything that moves. This was a concern, as once the chicks are moved to the outside coop I did not want the dogs barking at the hens whenever they are outside. So, yesterday (at 4 days old) when cleaning the brooder, I placed the chicks in a low rubbermaid container, hung their brooder lamp from the light fixture over the counter and brought the chicks into the kitchen. I then called the doggies over to investigate. Cappy was quite interested, but no barking or jumping. Izzy decided to completely ignore them. With that being successful, I then took the container of chicks and went to the sofa with them in the box in my lap. Izzy continued to ignore them, with only a look in their direction every few minutes. But absolutely no barking! Cappy was quite nosey, sniffing them, etc, but no barking and no jumping and NO EATING! I feel this first introduction was a success.

Today I will try this again for a longer period. I will then start keeping them for longer periods on the counter under the heat lamp until the dogs both completely ignore them. Once that's successful, I may let the chicks lose on the kitchen floor for a short period (don't want them getting too chilled) to see what their running around might do to the dogs.(There is a baby gate between family room and kitchen to routinely keep dogs out of the kitchen.)

My goal is to de-sensitize the golden doodles in regards to the chickie-doodles, hoping this will translate to a similar reaction once everyone is outside in 6-8 weeks.

Any thoughts?

2. wlbaker3

wlbaker3 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Sounds like you're off to a good start. Good luck!

3. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    [​IMG]

Good job. Pictures?

4. TheCrazyChick

TheCrazyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Ask and you shall receive ...

[​IMG]

They now have transitioned to pine shavings and seem to like it just fine.

I am off now to bring them to the kitchen for some more dog bonding.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Yay! Congratulations!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by