So far so good with 2nd hand hens

egghunter

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 9, 2009
Northern MN
I've been looking for some laying hens, and finally came across some for sale locally on Craigslist.
On Wed I bought 8 hens, hoping at least 5 would be good layers. The owner didn't promise they would lay. He had 40 hens and was only getting 10 eggs or less a day. I figured at $3 each, I would take a chance since the birds looked healthy.

I was a little nervous my one lonely roo would bully the newcomers, but the old girls put him right in his place and started getting comfortable in their new home.
On Thursday, I had 2 eggs. I found 1 more so far this morning with a couple more of the girls hard at work in the nest boxes.
big_smile.png

Now I'm wondering if their old coop was too crowded and they stopped laying. I have 9 birds in a coop about the size of the one he had 40 in. So far, I'm happy with the purchase. We'll see if I start getting more as the hens get more comfortable in the coop.
Fingers crossed...

He had several breeds all 1.5 to 3.5 years old, although he wasn't sure which ones were older or younger.
I tried to grab the younger looking ones...
3 Buff O's, 1 RIR for sure. The others I think are 2 barred rocks & 1 austrolorp.
1 mystery bird, maybe a wyandotte?, (she laid today's light brown egg).

Back
Top Bottom