So far so good with 2nd hand hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by egghunter, Oct 23, 2009.

1. egghunter

egghunter Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2009
    Northern MN
    I've been looking for some laying hens, and finally came across some for sale locally on Craigslist.
    On Wed I bought 8 hens, hoping at least 5 would be good layers. The owner didn't promise they would lay. He had 40 hens and was only getting 10 eggs or less a day. I figured at $3 each, I would take a chance since the birds looked healthy.

I was a little nervous my one lonely roo would bully the newcomers, but the old girls put him right in his place and started getting comfortable in their new home.
    On Thursday, I had 2 eggs. I found 1 more so far this morning with a couple more of the girls hard at work in the nest boxes. [​IMG]

Now I'm wondering if their old coop was too crowded and they stopped laying. I have 9 birds in a coop about the size of the one he had 40 in. So far, I'm happy with the purchase. We'll see if I start getting more as the hens get more comfortable in the coop.
    Fingers crossed...

2. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    good luck! did he say how old the hens were?

3. chesapeakechick

chesapeakechick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2009
    Warwick, Maryland
    [​IMG]
    I'm sure the girls are much happier with you! Hopefully they will reward you with lots of eggs...

4. egghunter

Aug 9, 2009
    Northern MN
    He had several breeds all 1.5 to 3.5 years old, although he wasn't sure which ones were older or younger.
    I tried to grab the younger looking ones...
    3 Buff O's, 1 RIR for sure. The others I think are 2 barred rocks & 1 austrolorp.
    1 mystery bird, maybe a wyandotte?, (she laid today's light brown egg).

5. egghunter

Aug 9, 2009
    Northern MN
    Up to 3 eggs for the day. Woo Hoo!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by