so far we have caught..

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by PAchickenlover, Jul 26, 2011.

1. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    We have caught a Coon and a possum within a few days in our live trap. Going to keep seting it till it sits empty for a week. Saw a mother coon and her five young crossing the road the other night. They were all heading to our side of the road! [​IMG] Darn things just need to stay away!

2. afveteran88

afveteran88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Deerfield, Michigan
    I have been seeing them also. Set up my motion hunting camera to see what is coming in at night. Good luck

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    About a week ago we had a teenage possum in our dogs part of the yard they was making a nfuss and I went out to see why I thought they killed it but it snarled its lip at one of the dogs so then I thought they hurt it so told hubby to finish it off. By the time he got out ther it was gone. A few days later at night it was back. This time DH went out with a flashlight and his gun. He found it and called to me. I went out and there he stands pointing the flashlight at it and told me, I cant do it it has a heart shaped face so I said then trap it and get it out of here. So he grabs a 5 gal bucket traps it inside and took it to the other side of the lake and let it go. I said if it finds its way back here you have to shoot it. He said yeah I know... it was just too cute. My great possom hunter [​IMG]

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I recently relocated a possum.Turns out it was a mom with wee ones in the pouch. I should have painted her to see if she ever makes it back.My trap has been empty the last few days. I have been down to mice and chipmunks.

5. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I killed a mother oppossum with wee ones in her pouch also. She had just killed two of my white rock setting hens. I buried the mother and wee one's also. I know for sure they would never get anybody's elses chickens.

Little uns grows up just like coons. It's just like pulling up a sapling you don't want growing in your yard. Or monkey grass in you garden.

6. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Quote:I know it's not popular, BUT if you move in to their habitat, should YOU not expect them. A more secure coop will help, BUT you would be upset IF another person decided YOUR yard was a common ground? Why do you think opossums and raccoons would believe differently???

Clint

7. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    I share Clint's sentiment. I believe we have to fit into their world, not change their world, like the native Americans. We should take a lesson from our own history. Remember what happened to the coyotes and wolves? We now realize they are essential part of the eco-system, after exterminated them to near extinction. Dont get me started with the bisons.

My birds have learned to share the bounty of my chemical free lawn with the ground hog living 20 feet from the coop. Neighborhood fox and raccoon sniff around in the dark. Falcons and vultures visit but the girls are too big for their taste. We don’t keep a garden because the deer always out smart or muscle us. Luckily, no sign of bear.

8. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    Coyotes! They're a big problem here right now! That is what happens when you don't keep them in check. It goes both ways. I suppose we shouldn't shoot feral hogs too?! [​IMG]

9. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    How did feral hogs come into existance?

The pythons in the Florida everglades and carps in the Mississipi river?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by