So few cayuga eggs. WTheck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sianara, Nov 2, 2010.

1. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    My two cayugas laid 3 eggs between them last week and that's it! I mean what the heck? I figured once they got going (at 30 weeks old mind you) that they'd at least have the decency to keep laying all winter long. I know they don't lay alot but jeez I was counting on more than THREE. [​IMG]

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    With the shortening of day light hours you may find that providing a light source may be needed to trigger the right hormones for laying. They need around 16 hours of light a day for that to happen...otherwise you may have to wait for spring to see more regular eggs.

3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

4. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    I am aware of the 14-17 hours of light requirement but I guess I was expecting these new ducks to lay like my new chickens usually do which is if they are hatched early/mid spring then they usually start laying that first late summer/early fall and lay all winter long and through the spring/summer irregardless of the # of daylight hours. The second fall is when they molt and stop laying for the fall/winter.

The only experience I've had with large ducks is my seven year old Golden 300 hybrids. Those girls laid year round for the first 3-4 years rarely taking breaks at all. Of course, now they've used up all their eggs and haven't laid regularly for about 3 years now.

Anyhoo, I guess the big chickens and pure breed big ducks are different in that way. I'm a little disappointed but it is what it is [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by