So freaking discouraged/annoyed!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JosieR, Jun 28, 2010.

1. JosieR

JosieR Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Orange County, NY
    When I first got my ducklings they were in the garage in a brooder. Once it warmed up or while I was cleaning the brooder I would leave the garage doors open for fresh air. Several times I caught a cat hiding out in the driveway staking the ducks. One time as I was coming back up from behind the house with water I caught her in full attack mode, inching towards the garage. She had waited for me to leave. The final straw was when she acted aggressive towards my daughter. Now I know it's instinct but I still can't have it.

Each time I ran her off she went in the direction of a group of trailers we have behind us at the end of a dirt lane. So back I went knocking on doors and describing the cat. One guy says it's not his but it's the neighbor's and he has to keep a cover over his car because the cat climbs on it and scratches it up.

I find the woman and her apx 10 animals and try to have a talk with her. "Oh, THAT doesn't sound like kitty, she wouldn't hurt a fly!" (so presumably not a duck either). Finally, I said, well, if it's your pet I don't want anything to happen to it, but at the same time, I'm going to protect MY pets and my children. And since I don't allow either to roam the neighborhood unsupervised or go into anyone's yard and try to harm them. I just wanted to give you the opportunity to correct the problem before I do.

For 2-3 weeks now, no problems. I let the ducks out during the day and gradually built up to me letting them stay out even if I had to run out to the store or something. Yesterday we were out running errands for about 3 hours and came home to find them missing. We saw a hawk and feared the worst but then they came out from under there house chattering away. I was so proud of them!

Then, last night, I'm heading out to give them peas and put them up and there's the dang cat, walking back and forth and starting to do that circle the prey thing the cats do. Poor ducks were huddled together in a panic [​IMG]

I don't know what to do. I understand the ducks are prey to a lot of animals so I do what I can (lock them up at night, give them places to run under during the day). I just don't know how to guard against pet owners who allow their pets to roam the neighborhood without regard for what they might be doing.

Will my drake kick the cats butt or are they all toast?

2. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Secure pen for the ducks, live animal trap for the kitty. . . then off to the animal shelter.

Good luck!

3. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    One thing i would like to see you do is get a secure enclosure for the ducks. if not this cat, then something else will eventually be after them. If this cat is aggressive towards your child, action needs to be taken though.

4. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Sss [​IMG]

5. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    Quote:2nd

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I have a lady three doors down from me who feeds all the feral cats in the neighbourhood. Ever so often I call the council and get a cage brought out. I call them every time I catch a cat- they come pick it up. If the cat is threatening your ducks on your own property- trap it - but also make sure that any future cats wont have the opportunity to get near your ducks by making sure they have a very secure pen.

7. love_a_duck

love_a_duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Waterford, Michigan
    Quote:agreed with this.

8. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC

I tried this once, the cat got home before I did, since there was a nasty note on my door. This ruled out SSS for me. catch and release about 10 times in the next 2 weeks. Last time I released into the goose enclosure. My flock convinced him that he wasn't welcome! opened the gate, he and my big gander left with the gander still hanging on his tail. The gander returned and did his famous Victory Dance for me and the goose flock. The few times I saw that cat again I just let the geese out to play....

9. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    You may not be able to SSS if housing is close. So get a catch cage and some nice canned cat food, preferrably tuna. Set it close to your duck pen when your ducks are penned so they can't get to it. Then call animal control to come pick up the stray cat you caught. You may have to trap more than one cat.

You didn't say how old your ducks were now? What kind of ducks?

My Muscovies could take on a cat. It would not be coming back after a drake dealt with it. But Muscovies are large and family oriented, many ducks aren't.

10. Ceilismom

Ceilismom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    NW South Dakota

I tried this once, the cat got home before I did, since there was a nasty note on my door. This ruled out SSS for me. catch and release about 10 times in the next 2 weeks. Last time I released into the goose enclosure. My flock convinced him that he wasn't welcome! opened the gate, he and my big gander left with the gander still hanging on his tail. The gander returned and did his famous Victory Dance for me and the goose flock. The few times I saw that cat again I just let the geese out to play....

Do you mean that someone actually trespassed on your property to retrieve their pet from your trap? Wow. Brilliant strategy with the gander!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by