So frustrated by the farmer's co-op

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gritsar, Jul 19, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    We only have two sources for chicken feed in town, the farmer's co-op and another feed store that's even worse the co-op.

We go to buy chicken feed today and it's pretty straightforward; I need two bags of layer pellets and two bags of grower crumbles. Get to the loading dock, give the guy my ticket and he brings out two bags of layer pellets and two bags of chick starter. The very same starter that they were out of two weeks ago, forcing me to go off medicated starter two weeks ahead of schedule. [​IMG] Now the chicks have been off the medicated for the two weeks and I don't think it's a good idea for them to go back on it. I would rather stick with the 17% grower, especially with the meaties eating it.
    I tell the guy that it's the wrong food, that I want the unmedicated 17% grower. He insists they are the same. Gets in my face and is waving his hands around type of insisting. I stood my ground, so he asks one of the other employees who explains to him that in the new brand they are carrying, there IS a seperate grower. He stalks off to get me the two bags of grower.
    I am really tired of dealing with idiots that don't know one feed from another and what's more, could care less.
    I'd go to the other store, except I still remember them trying to sell me gamebird starter back in 2007 and insisting that it was medicated (it was not). [​IMG]

End of rant [​IMG]

2. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    That sinks! I can't believe you only have two options in your area... that makes it difficult because they obviously have a corner on the market and don't have to fix their customer service issues.

I'm sorry. [​IMG]

3. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    if your last problem was 2007, i'd go back and try the other place, the bum that screwed up might have learned or is gone by now. Ths co-op i go to has employee's that have been there for years and they still make mistakes, one time i got my order plus a full second order, I called and took it back, they did offer to come back and get it, but it was easier for me to go. some time you have to bend a little.

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Why don't you just place an order for what you want. Our co-op will order for you and call you when it comes in. They should get a weekly delivery. Thats what we do.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Tried that awhile back. I wanted to feed Purina Sunfresh brand. The co-op says they are a purina dealer so I asked the manager to order it. He did, one time. Then I'd remind him but he would still forget to order it, meaning that when I ran out I was forced to switch brands back and forth which I didn't like doing.
    The manager is the worst of the bunch at the co-op. Lazy thing. Only got the job cuz he's related to a "who you are" in a town full of "who you ares". [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by