So frustrated! (medical stuff)

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by CrazyFowlFreak, Jan 12, 2010.

1. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    I was diagnosed with Lupus and Rheumatoid Arthritis over 10 years ago. I have been able to control it and live with it using Ibuprofen/Motrin and lots of sleep. I still have pain, but am allergic to opiates in pain meds, even the man-made opiates like Hydrocodone, etc. Totally stinks!

I've been having awful stomach pains and feeling much worse lately, so I went to the doc today.

Turns out, I have an ulcer from the Motrin. UGH! Now I've been put on two kinds of meds for my stomach and Celebrex for the RA. I've been on Celebrex before and it didn't help.

So now I am not allowed to take any anti-inflammatory pills, like Motrin, etc. because of the ulcer. Being allergic to virtually any kind of pain meds means that I will get no relief from the pain. I am terrified of what I will feel like without the Motrin. I haven't taken any since this morning and my hands are turning into "claws", meaning my fingers won't stretch out all the way and if I do it by accident, it is severely painful. My joints and soft tissue is killing me and all I'm allowed to take is Tylenol, which doesn't do a thing.[​IMG]

I just started working at our tax office for the season and I'm afraid I won't be able to continue, which means I'll be stuck in the house, alone all the time. DH will be at work, kids will be in school. Blech.

Anyone up for a pity party? [​IMG]:

Please light a candle, pray if that's your thing, whatever, that this will be bearable. I'm feeling pretty sorry for myself right now.

2. verity

verity Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Clemmons
    Does it help at all to soak your hands in very warm water?
    sometimes a 'pity-party' does help --- hope you feel better soon --

3. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Oh man, that bites! Once the ulcer heals, will they let you resume the Motrin, or is this for good?

My mom is allergic to nearly all pain meds, and it sure makes ordinary medical stuff we all take for granted pretty difficult for her.

Keeping you in my prayers!

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    So sorry! I hate to hear that your in pain. [​IMG]
    I dont know what would help you...
    maybe those hand hot wax dips you can buy and reuse ...they say it helps for people with joint pain...

5. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG] so sorry...but NSAIDS can wreck your stomach. I can barely tolerate a few doses. Candle burning, good thoughts coming......Had the same thought as the OP re paraffin wax. They sell small units for around 30-40 $ with wax ready to go. I use it not salon type spoiling but because I have some arthritis in my thumbs and it does help some. I don't know if Acetaminophen (Tylenol) helps at least some? But that is easy on your stomach. Not to exceed 4000 mg in 24 hrs or use if you have liver problems though......

6. LizFM

LizFM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Have you had any success with things like guided meditation and visualization or other relaxation techniques? Soaking in warm baths? It might not help much...but surely any little bit is beneficial?

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Have you done anything dietary-wise? A lot of grains are known for their inflammatory properties.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

9. texasbartrambaby

texasbartrambaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Tulia, Texas
    Oh, hugs! I too have lupus/sle and RA. I DO NOT take any meds now, my choice. I rest, eat as naturally as I can (eggs, dairy goat milk, raise our own beef and pork, gardening) and try to do the best that I can.

Aleve works - don't know if you can take that or not. When I was taking a lot of meds mobic worked great. Not sure if you are allowed that or not. Heat works great for me too. I still have pain, but I do try to ignore it the best that I can but it is so very hard when it affects your hands and hips. Hugs and so sorry you are going through this. Oh, also, I am not sure but you can also talk to your doctor about antibiotic therapy. Low dose antibiotics really helped a friend of mine; I didn't do it but I can tell you I feel GREAT after taking a round for a cold.

10. OverEggstended

OverEggstended Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    SW Washington State
    First off...

HANG IN THERE!
    I have FM and MS along with some arthritis... so I can empathize a bit.

I would recommend Zyflamend by New chapter. It is WONDERFUL! I no longer take any prescription meds for the most part. The Nuerontin I keep around as well as the DayPro (oxycodone)... but have not taken even the Rx of 30 pills in over a year.

I take Zyfamend for the inflamation and pain, and nox vomiva for the gastric problems and nerve issues. Lifesavers... really.

If you are in anyway interested, here is a link with reviews:

http://www.iherb.com/New-Chapter-Zyflamend-120-Softgel-Capsules/77?at=1

Hope you do not mind the imput. Yoga has also helped me a lot.

In any case... hang in there and do not be afraid to ask others for help or just be "lazy" every now and than and take some time for yourself. That was MY biggest problem and one I still battle with. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by