So glad I found you!!!

mcgertylee

Chirping
May 5, 2010
Waialua, Hawai`i
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I am relatively new to chickens, about 2 years. Our local market would not order local eggs and brought them in from the mainland (I live in Hawai`i), which is ridiculous, so I rebelled and bought two Ameraucana's from the Feed Store. My daughters cat injured a chick that I named Hermione, until she crowed, and it changed to Hermionus, as I was reading a book about Rome at the time. Actually, his full name is Gallus Gallus Aggripa Hermionus. I was given several chicks from wild stock, jungle fowl I guess, and I was on my way! My husband reluctantly built a coop, but I let them free range during the day while I am at work.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? (3) What breeds do you have?

My hens are: Cleopatra (Ameraucana), Isabella Bird (deceased Ameraucana but must be mentioned), Violet (mix), Hyacinth (mix), Nefertari and Sasha (mix from Hermionus and Violet and Hyacinth when we went on vacation, ooops), and the two new ones Priscilla, a Barred Plymouth rock, and Fiona, another Ameraucana, as I missed Isabella so much. My roo is Hermionus who is from the wild, a descendant of the illustrious, Polynesian-introduced chickens, whose blood lines go back to S. East Asia.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

I found this wonderful site by accident on line last week. It is fabulous to have located so many kindred spirits! I have had so many questions already answered concerning chicken behavior and such.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Hiking, reading, genealogy research, geo-caching, etc.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

We have a large dog, Koa, who ignores the chickens, several hand raised wild birds (Bulbuls), Tuakana and Tui; a house finch named, Ma`oki`oki; a sparrow, Squirt; 4 cockatiels one couple (Makuahine and `Uhane) with four babies; the other (Manini-Wahine and Kala) with six eggs, a small aviary with 8 Java finches (un-named); and three grown daughters.
My husband is a Construction supervisor, originally from New Zealand, and I am an archaeologist from Hawai`i. We live on the North Shore of O`ahu Island in the country, thank goodness, which allows us to have the chickens. We also have very tolerant neighbors, as Hermionus does not know the meaning of "dawn". Both my husband and myself are about to retire and hope to spend a portion of the year in New Zealand as well as Hawai`i. But I love my animals and haven't quite worked out how to do this with them.

welcome-byc.gif
from Utah

welcome-byc.gif
from Texas!!!

Your life sounds wonderful. I've been to Hawaii once, when I ran in the Honolulu marathon. I finished, but it took me nearly all day...LOL! It was also during the 60th Anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor, so I spent the day there...it was amazing to hear the personal accounts of that day.

Back
Top Bottom